Chapter 4 - Lonesome Town

"What?

The loudness and surprise in Uncle Jonathon's voice cut through Jess's thoughts while she was eating dinner. 

After living in her new home for three weeks, she was used to her uncle and Douglas spending the entire meal talking about the mining business.  She'd found the time passed more quickly if she made up stories in her head while she ate.  And it helped ease the loneliness if she concentrated on something else. 

She looked up at her uncle because it was so unusual to hear him raise his voice with Douglas.  From the expression on his face, she knew Douglas must have said something he didn't like.

"Jeff's family invited me to go with them to France," Douglas repeated.

"But you said they're going to be gone for the whole summer!"

"Well, yeah.  Jeff's mom has family there but they're going to be traveling around too.  They're even going to the World's Fair in Brussels!" he added excitedly.

"I'm surprised his father can afford to be away from the office that long," Uncle Jonathon muttered sternly.  "He is my lawyer, after all.  Maybe I need to have a talk with him."

"Awe, gee!" Douglas said loudly with exasperation.  "Don't get mad at Mr. White!  He's only going for the first week!"

"I was planning on having you work at the office this summer."

"But, Dad!"

"You need to start taking on more responsibilities, Douglas!" Uncle Jonathon insisted firmly.  Jess rolled her eyes at her plate.  She already knew who was going to win the argument.  "You can go to Europe another time."

"But there might not be another time!  I'll work in the office next summer!  I promise!  Please?"

"The whole summer, Douglas!" Uncle Jonathon repeated, trying to reason with him.

"Please don't say no," Douglas begged.  He looked like he was about to cry and Jess rolled her eyes again.  "Once I take over the mine, you know I won't be able to travel like this," he added sorrowfully.

Uncle Jonathon slumped as if Douglas's words had wounded him.  After a moment, he stiffened into his usual upright position, saying, "Alright, you can go."

"Really?  Gee, thanks Dad!" Douglas exclaimed, his face beaming.  "You're the best!  I can't wait to tell Jeff!  May I please leave the table to make the call?" he asked excitedly.  "It won't take long."  Uncle Jonathon waved his hand dismissively and Douglas leapt out of the chair.

Jess continued to eat in the silent room but she noticed her Uncle wasn't.  She peeked at him and was surprised to see him looking down at his plate with sadness.  Douglas's excited voice echoed in the room as he talked on the phone in the hallway and Uncle Jonathon looked up, his eyes meeting Jess's.  She was shocked at the anger in them and quickly dropped her gaze.  She looked at her plate with her heart pounding in her chest while her uncle glared at her.  Had she done something?  Or was he angry he'd given in to Douglas?

"You may leave the table now, Jessica," he said in a low voice, the tone scaring her even more.  For the first time she feared he might actually be mad enough to hit her.

"Yes, sir," she said, not daring to look at him while she placed her fork on her half finished plate, and quickly left the room. 

In the hallway, she passed Douglas who was leaning against the door frame to the living room with his back to her while he talked happily with his friend.  Intense jealousy and anger rose up in her, replacing the fear she'd felt a moment ago in her uncle's presence.