Chapter Twenty-One

The day for prom has finally arrived. Unforunately for me, it didn't even start until seven. Even worse, Cody would be busy all day until then, so I couldn't hang out with him, either.

Sprawled across the couch with my head hanging over the edge, I whined to Nathan, "Nathe! I'm so bored! What do I do?"

"You are just bored because Cody is busy" Nathan shakes his head at me, clicking his tongue against his teeth to make a "tsk" sound.

"You're so mean, Nathan!" I whine. As if to cue my boredom, the front door opens and Riley rushes into the room with Rei trailing behind her.

"Dear brother! I am so proud of you!" Riley says. Her eyes land on me and she lets out a horrified gasp, "I take that back! You can't be here dying when you should be hanging out with us! Or doing something else that is very productive."

Her loud, booming voice startles me and I fall onto the floor with a loud thump. I just stay on the ground, onmoving, and I don't bother to look up at them. I decide the floor would be a great place to sleep, so I shut my eyes.

"Riley! You killed him!" Nathan scolded.

Riley just lets out a bit of a laugh. "Come on Kodi, you are hanging out with us."

I groan, not wanting to. I open my eyes to see her wearing a look of disappointment. Rei just stays quiet by her side. The two of them seem to have been rather close lately.

"Come on! Cody even promised to hang out with us if he is able to finish early before prom" she winks. At that, I immediately shoot up from the floor and run to the bedroom to get out of my pajamas.

It takes me less than five minutes before I am standing in front of them once again.

Cheerily, I say, "come on! Let's go!"

A few hours later, we are hanging out at a park. I am dying from the heat. I am melting into a puddle on the floor, and everyone else is aware of that.

"We better take Kodi to get some water" Riley says, "he looks like he will become a humanoid puddle any moment now."

"I'll take him" Rei says, "you make sure no one steals our table." Rei walks over to me and forces me off the bench, "come on brat, we are getting you water. Cody will kill me if you die before prom."

Having no other choice, I allow her to drag me until we are in front of a water fountain.

I take a sip of the water before I ask, "so are you going to tell me? What is up with you and RIley?"

I continue drinking water, not really caring too much about her answer.

Rei seems nervous. After a moment she starts to fidget a little before she says, "I like Riley."

I immediately shoot up from the water fountain. Forgetting that I am still holding the button on the fountain, it gets my face and the front of my shirt all soaking wet.

Letting go of the button, I decide to ignore how ridiculous I look. Instead I fist pump the air with a "I knew it!"

Rei just begins laughing.

Frowning, I ask, "what?"

Pointing at me, she smiles and says, "you look so hilarious!"

A familiar voice sounds behind me, "what happened to you?"

I turn around and my smile grows wide, "Cody! I missed you!" I can't help myself, so I throw my arms around him in a hug. I may or may not have transfered someone of the water from my shirt onto his own. "You already finished?"