Chapter nineteen

I was glad that Cody didn't hate me. Maybe I shouldn't have forgave him so easily, but I couldn't help it. I thought he hated me. I truly believed it, so when he told me that he didn't hate me, I couldn't bring myself to stay upset at him. I didn't want to hurt his feelings by saying I didn't forgive him, especially because I just got him back. 

I opened my eyes again later in the day, startled to find Cody asleep at my bedside. 

"C-Cody?" I whispered, and nudged him over. He fell out of his chair and hit the floor with a loud thud. Whoops.

"Ouch!" he squeaked and rubbed the back of his head. He didn't even hit the back of his head. "Kodi! Why did you do that?"

He just looked so cute and hopeless that I couldn't help but giggle a little as he stared at me with hurt, pleading eyes. 

"S-Sorry!" I mumble, "I didn't mean to knock you off, I was just trying to wake you."

I thought he was going to be mad at me, and I wouldn't be surprised. What did surprise me was when he smiled at me and replied, "it's all good. I needed to wake up, anyways. How are you feeling?"

"I'm good" I reply, smiling a little. 

"That is good" Cody says. 

"Oh! I have to check my phone, Nathan must be incredibly worried!" I frown. 

"Here it is" Cody hands it to me and I thank him.

I check my messaged, and sure enough, there are several texts from Nathan asking where I am. The last one was to call him. I click the call button on his number.

"Kodi! Where have you been? I've been so worried!" he really did sound incredibly concerned. It was no surprise that he was worried, though. I've probably been out for at least a day.

"I'm sorry, Nathe. A bit of a situation had come up" I mumble, "I will be back soon, alright?"

"Be back by night, please. It'd be appreciated" he replies. We say our goodbyes and hung up.

"We have to take you to the hospital to get your leg checked out" Cody tells me, "can you walk?" 

I test out walking, but immediately fall over onto Cody, but he catches me. I thought I saw him blush, but it must have been my imagination. There's no way he'd be blushing at a time like this.

"Okay, let's go to the hospital" I reply, "I'm sorry, I don't think I can walk. Sorry to trouble you."

"It's no trouble at all!" he reassures me. He helps me out to his car.

It takes about a twenty minute drive to the nearest hospital.

When we get there, the doctor is able to see me immediately. "What happened to your leg?" The doctor asks.

"I fell" I say sheepishly.

The doctor leads me over to an x-ray, and that whole process takes about an hour. Then there is another thirty minutes of waiting to hear the results.

"It turns out you just sprained your ankle" the doctor says. I was relieved that I didn't break anything. After paying, Cody helps me back to the car, but we end up waiting another few minutes.

"So, um, prom is in a week" Cody says.

I look at him, wondering what he is going to say. "Are you going with someone?" I was a little curious, but more scared to hear his answer.

"I was thinking of" he trails off, "Kodi, will you go with me?"

Now I was astonished. I did not expect him to ask me to prom. This must be a dream, right? Well, if this is a dream, then I never want it to end. "Yes, I will go to prom with you, Cody."