Chapter Four

Free At Heart chapter four

"Before you all leave, make sure to study your notes! Remember, you will be getting assigned partners for a project tomorrow" Mrs. Linda called out. Not even a minute later the bell rang. I stuffed everything back into my book bag. When I looked up, Rei was standing there glaring, hands placed loosely on her hips.

"Yes?" I asked, matching her glare. What did the spoiled princess want now?

"Bye, loser" she walked towards the exit. She looked over her shoulder at me one last time, "remember, this is only the start. We are at war with each other." That's a bit dramatic. She walked out leaving me alone in the room with Mrs. Linda, who was erasing the board. Trash scattered the floor, and the chairs were all pulled out into the way. Some even fell over. Sighing, I began helping her by picking up the trash.

Mrs.Linda turned to face me when she was done and had a look of surprise on her features, "oh, thank you, hun."

I returned her smile, "you're welcome." I pushed in the remaining chairs after I was done. People really do not know how to treat a classroom with respect.

"Again, thank you for your help. I appreciate it" Mrs.Linda said. I smiled and nodded my acknowledgement before I went towards the front to find Nathan. He should be here by now.

"There you are, Kodi!" Nathan beckoned me over towards his car. I was still a little mad about lunch-then I remembered my ice cream craving.

"Nathe, take me to an ice cream parlor" I demanded as I opened the passenger side door and got in. He got in on the drivers side.

"What happened-" I closed the door. His eyes widened when I turned to look at him, "why is there a red mark on your cheek?" I laughed nervously.

"I will explain..But first, p-please take me to an ice cream parlor.." I mumbled.

"Oh, so a popular girl named Rei slapped you and declared you as enemies?" I nodded as I stuffed my mouth full with my favorite ice cream, Mint and chocolate chips, "wow, sounds like you had an eventful first day." I glared as he smiled. He began to feel uneasy against my gaze.

"Hey, Kodi!" I looked up and was shocked to see Cody.

"Do you know this guy?" Nathan asked. I nodded.

"Yes, this is a friend I suppose.." I mumbled.

"Can I sit?" he asked. Nathan and I nodded. He slid in next to me and smiled at my brother, "hello, I am Cody. Are you a relative?" Nathan smiled.

"I am Nathan, Kodi's older brother" he said.

"Where's your father?" Cody asked me. My eyes widened and I froze in my spot. Staring down at my lap, I tried not to cry at the memories threatening to resurface.

"Sorry, it's a sour subject" Nathan apologized.

"I'm sorry for asking, it was a selfish question" Cody turned to face me, "are you all right?"

"Father, I need to tell you something" I kept my hands behind my back, shifting from foot to foot nervously. I was eight.

"Yes, dear?" he asked. I lifted my head to stare determinedly into his eyes.

"I'm a boy! I like guys! I am a guy!" I said, placing my hands at my sides. At first he just stood there with a blank expression.

Then, without warning, he brought his fist out to hit me square in the face. The force knocked me off my feet. I tried to lift myself up, but I was in pain and shock.

My ten year old brother, Nathan, stood staring at my father. Next to him, my mother stood, staring at my father in shock.

"You are not a boy! You never will be!" the man I called my father kicked me in my ribs to make a point. I curled up into a tiny ball to try and numb the pain.

In less than an instant, Nathan stood in front of me protectively, distancing me from my father.

"Stop! How dare you hurt her!" he yelled.

"Your sister thinks she's a boy!" my father yelled.

Nathan gritted hs teeth, "if she thinks she's a boy, then she's a boy!"

"No!" my father screamed, "that isn't right!"

Nathan punched my father in the stomach as hard as he could. It was enough force to make him double over in pain. "I will tell you what isn't right!" Nathan punched him in the face, "hurting your own child because of his different views isn't right!"

"Kodi? Kodi!" was the last thing I heard before I collasped.