Chapter Sixteen

A week went by like the blink of an eye. Nothing was broken so I could walk at least, but just in case, I was warned to take it easy.

Today was also the day I was going to the movies with Rei.

"Are you sure you are well enough to go?" Nathan asked nervously. He was worried.

"I'm sure" I replied.

"Because she can come over for a DVD instead-"

"I'm fine, Nathe" I smiled. A moment later, the doorbell rang. I answered it, revealing Rei. She looked pretty as usual.

"Hey Kodi" she gave a nervous smile.

"Hey" I replied back, "how did you get here?" That caught her attention.

"I took the bus" she mumbled, "can we go?" I nodded.

"The doctors told me not to drive for another few weeks, so we have to take the bus" I replied awkwardly.

"Alright" she smiled. We walked out of the house and straight to the bus stop, which was only a street away. We got there just in time as the bus did, and we happily boarded. We were also lucky enough to grab the last two seats.

"So which movie do you want to see?" I asked her. She fiddled with her fingers nervously.

"Well, um" she hesitated, "could we, maybe, see a horror movie?"

I nodded. "Sure, we can!"

As we made it to the next bus stop, an old lady boarded. It still wasn't our stop. She looked around, looking for a seat. There weren't any.

"Here, you can sit here!" I got up out of my seat and grabbed the railing instead.

She walked on over and smiled at me. "Thank you young lad, you're quite the gentleman." She looked at Rei. "I bet you must be happy to have a wonderful boyfriend."

That statement made both of us nervous, and we denied it in sync.

The rest of the trip flew by like a breeze. Before we knew it, we were at our stop and only had to walk less than a street to get to the movie theatres.

Once there, we stood in line and bought our tickets.

"Want any popcorn?" I asked Rei, and she was hesitant. "Don't worry, I don't mind paying. Do you want any?"

"Yes, please" she gave a shy smile, "thank you." I bought the popcorn and we hurried to our theatre room.

There we sat, and watched the movie. I will be honest, somehow I ended up falling asleep, but I woke up through half of it. I felt Rei touch my hand, and I looked at her nervously.

"Rei?" I asked. Before I knew what was happening, she pressed her lips to mine. I gently pushed her away.

"Do you..." she looked away shyly, "do you not like me?" I sighed.

"Look, Rei, this isn't the place for this. If you want to talk about it right now we need to leave, or we can finish the movie first" I sighed. She grabbed my hand and led us down the hall.

"Do you not like me?" Rei asked again.

"I like you as a friend" I mumbled, "but what about your boyfriend?" Her cheeks were red from embarrassment.

"I realized I held feelings for you so we broke up" she replied.

I sighed. "I'm sorry, Rei."

"Don't be" she replied. "I'm sorry I ruined the movie."

"You didn't ruin it" I reassured with a smile, "I promise you didn't ruin it."

She nodded. "Alright." She frowned. "But if you don't like me, then who do you like?"

I was guilty. "Cody...I tried not to do anything because he was your boyfriend, but I couldn't stop my feelings."

I expected her to be mad. But instead, she smiled. "I have to admit, you two would be cute together. I won't tell anyone, but do tell him your feelings when you're ready, okay?"

I nodded and smiled at her. "Thanks, Rei."

"So you coming to school tomorrow?" She asked. Tomorrow was Monday. I nodded at her.

"Yes, I will be there" I replied.