Chapter 10

Chapter 10:

Selena reacted... unexpectedly, to say the least.

She blinked at me, once, twice, three times.

Then she laughed.

Like cackled like a hyena laugh. She bent over at the waist, all anger seeping from her body as hysteric laughter emitted from her instead. The others looked over at her like she had lost it. Hell, she probably had. I knew I was.

Tears leaked from the corners of her eyes, flooding down her cheeks as she started snorting, then gasping for air.

"What's so damn funny?" I finally demanded, feeling pissed at her for laughing at me.

"It's not... you. I'm sorry..." She stuttered as she tried to calm down. Finally she stood upright and took in a long, deep breath that she exhaled slowly. "Sorry. I wasn't laughing at you. Just the... situation, I guess."

She paused and took a step closer to me.

"Don't. Don't come near me." I whispered.

"We're not vampires, Kendall." She smirked, amusement thick in her words.

"Emilia." I snapped, tried of repeating myself.

She rolled her eyes. "We're not vampires, Emilia. Vampires don't exist."

"Then what are you? Because you sure as hell aren't like any human I've ever seen."

She ignored me, turning to Kat instead. "Would it be possible to... erase the last five minutes?"

Kat bit her lip nervously, looking between us. "No, that wouldn't be a good idea. Her mind is already screwed up. If we take anything else away, that will just make it harder to get anything back in the first place."

"So, what do we do? You know that she won't be able to handle this right now."

"Someone tell me something. You've turned my life completely inside out. At least give me the truth." I interrupted, emotion thick in my voice as tears gathered in the corners of my eyes.

"Fine." Selena finally answered after a few minutes of contemplation. "Sit down. I'll tell you everything."

I looked warily down at the table, which was uncomfortably close to them.

"For the love of God, sit down. I promised that you wouldn't be hurt and I mean that. No one is going to do anything to you. You're the Queen, after all."

My brow furrowed and my lips parted as the wheels in my head started turning, trying to comprehend what she just said.

"What do you mean by that? We're in the United States. We don't have a monarchy, stupid."

She cleared her throat, fighting off another smile. "Humans don't have a monarchy in the United States." She clarified. "Werewolves, though? That's another story."

Everything made sense after that. The wolf from my dream. The growls, the claws, the eyes changing colors. Everything clicked together.

"How is that even possible?" I asked, swallowing the lump in my throat.

"It just is. How is being a human possible? That's just how we were created."

"Are you going to turn me?" I questioned, my chin quivering as I tried to swallow the tears.

Selena exhaled and ran her hands down her face roughly. She hissed as she pulled her left arm away. "I can't explain this right now. My arm's killing me. Are you strong enough to heal it?" She turned away from me and spoke directly to Kat.