Chapter 8

Chapter 8:

Weirdly enough, I awoke before everyone else the next morning. I suppose it wasn't that weird, since I had passed out by eight o'clock. But still, I usually slept until almost noon.

I tiptoed throughout the house quietly, searching the downstairs as I went to confirm that everyone was sleeping. Once I was sure, I slid open the glass door to the back porch and slipped outside.

Fog had rolled in overnight and grey storm clouds darkened the sky. I shivered and pulled the cardigan that I slipped on before leaving my room tighter. My legs were bare and goosebumps spread across my skin. My teeth chattered slightly, but I soon got comfortable in the frosty morning air. It was a different climate than I was used to living in, but it strangely felt like I was used to it.

I slipped my phone out from the cardigan pocket, which I was happy to discover this morning had ten percent battery left, enough for a phone call. I swiped it open and scrolled through my short list of contacts until I landed on the one I wanted.

Ivaylo.

I wasn't sure what I would say to him, but I needed to clear the air and hear his side of things. I needed to hear if he thought I was crazy for trusting these people. I was scared to talk to him, but I was more scared not to.

I hesitantly clicked on his name and pressed the cold screen to my cheek. I bit my lip as I waited with baited breath for an answer, but I didn't have to wait long.

This number has been disconnected.

I pulled it away, staring at it with wide eyes as I pressed the red disconnect button. I swallowed harshly, thinking over what that meant for me.

I immediately wanted to jump to conclusions and blame him for taking me, if I was indeed Kendall Keating, which I wasn't convinced of. It did look suspicious after all. Who disconnected their phone after something like that? What was he hiding? And who was he?

I shook my head in denial, pushing those thoughts from my mind. This was my brother. He got me through the worst time in my life. He took me in when I was lost and confused, he helped me settle into a routine, he got me a job and a place to live. He always looked after me and made sure I was being safe, that I was okay. And here I was turning on him. What kind of sister was I? I needed all the facts before I made that kind of accusation. For all I knew, these people had taken him hostage too and were lying to me.

I sighed and rubbed my tired eyes. I pushed my thoughts to the back burner for the time being and plopped down on the swing in the yard. My bare feet were soaked with the dewy condensation on the soft grass, making them feel cold and clean. I inhaled the fresh air deeply, loving the scent of the misty morning forest.

I gazed out at the woods. To most people, the forest may look creepy, but I always found myself drawn to it. I didn't exercise much, but I did love to take walks through the woods in the morning. There was a trail down the street from my apartment that I would take. I wanted to walk through these, but I thought better of it, considering there was no trail and I didn't know the area. I did enjoy the view though.

I stayed that way for a while, watching the trees sway gently with the breeze and breathing in the fresh air. It was peaceful, tranquil.

At least it was until Selena came barreling outside.

She had slept in the same room as I had the night before. She mentioned last night that we had shared the room for years, up until we moved to the castle with our respective boyfriends. She had been snoring loudly when I woke up.