Chapter 7

Chapter 7:

Apparently, that word had some kind of significance. What that was, I had no idea. They've said a few things that I'm not sure about.

Everyone looked nervously between each other, no one answering me right away. Some of them looked horrified, some looked pissed off, others looked at me sympathetically. I didn't like any of it.

"You can't shift anymore?" Selena asked, sounding tentative for once.

"Shift? What do you mean?" I furrowed my eyebrows together in perplexity.

"Your wo-"

"She means shift gears. She wants to know if you can drive." Kat interrupted.

I looked at them weirdly. "I may have lost my memory, but I'm not an idiot." I spat.

"I know. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have implied that you are. But trust me, you don't want to know that right now. There are things about your life that are complicated and that you won't understand yet. Just be patient, okay? You'll learn everything eventually."

"It's easy for you to tell me to be patient when I'm the one who hasn't known a damn thing about myself for the past year." I grumbled.

"I know that I don't understand. None of us do, and I'm sure that is frustrating, to say the least. But I promise, if we tell you everything right now it will overwhelm you."

I sighed heavily. I figured she was right. My head was still throbbing from all the new information, a stress headache building in the base of my skull. Half of me wanted to know now, to know everything now, but the other half of me was afraid. I was afraid about what I would find out about myself. It was better to settle into things first before I dove in head first.

"Fine." I agreed, rolling my eyes as I did. "What're we eating?"

"Let me cook for you. I can make your favorite." Abby perked up.

"What's my favorite?" I wondered, not really knowing if I already knew it or not.

"Steak, loaded mashed potatoes, and my special five cheese macaroni. I only made it when you had a special occasion.

"Sounds good."

I didn't want to admit that she was correct about my favorite food. I loved steak, I could eat it every meal. And nothing went better with it than potatoes and macaroni. My mac and cheese usually came from a box though, so I was pretty excited to try hers.

We sat at the kitchen counter, Kat and Selena helping her cook. She somehow already knew I wouldn't be much help, so she instructed me to sit. She sat a beer and a brownie in front of me, telling me I must be starving. I scarfed the brownie down, finally feeling a little less upset at the ruin of my brownies from the pizza place, considering these were probably way better. They were just a tad undercooked, just like I liked.

I ended up eating five by the time dinner was done.

Not much talking took place, just the occasional staring when they thought I wasn't looking. Once it was ready, and after I set the table because I insisted on doing something to help, the conversation picked back up as we dished food onto our plates.

"So, how long have you two been married?" I asked Jefferson and Abby as I smeared homemade whipped honey butter on my roll.

They gave each other a nervous glance, which I thought was weird considering how simple a question it was. I guess nothing was simple with these people.