Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

The memorial had become somewhat of a family affair.

Everyone showed up. Lili and Brody stayed, even though he should be home running the pack in the absence of his father. Jefferson and Abby had arrived the afternoon before.

It was a bittersweet moment for the Keating family. They were all together, but they really weren't. A vital member of their family was absent.

"He's more beautiful every time I see him. I still can't believe you're a mommy now." Abby gushed over baby Kenny.

"He does, doesn't he?" She paused, glancing down at the little angel that saved her. "He looks just like her."

"He does." The Keating matriarch replied tearfully. "She would have gotten a kick out of that. She'd brag all the time." Abby chuckled breathlessly, her eyes misting over.

"You're right about that." Selena murmured, trying to not let her emotions overcome her.

She had cried enough tears for one lifetime.

Abby linked arms with her daughter and they made their way out of the nursery. Kenny had fallen asleep for the night, so he would be left alone as a late dinner took place. "So, how is he doing?" Abby whispered as they walked.

Not that whispering would stop him from hearing if he wanted to.

Selena sighed warily. "He's... I don't know. He's like shut off from everything. All he does is work and drink. The only emotion he ever shows is anger. I don't know how to help him anymore." She responded.

It wasn't surprising that she was opening up to her mother. Abby was always the one with the biggest heart and the strongest voice of reason in the Keating family. Brody and Matt, along with their father, were always ruled by instinct. They were primal creatures, letting their wolves control their behavior the majority of the time. Selena had always been stubborn and borderline rude, so that left her out. Kendall was good at giving advice, a little blunt at times, but still good at offering guidance. But she wasn't there now.

"Have you tried just giving him a little space?" Abby suggested.

Selena thought it over and realized she hadn't. She had been very confrontational with him the majority of the time.

"Not really." She admitted. "Except for the times that he took off without telling anyone where he was going."

The admittance made her think back to the day they lost Kendall.

The fighting had been raging on for hours, dozens, maybe even hundreds, dying in the streets of the town and the woods surrounding the castle. Wave after wave of Rebel wolves continued to pour in from the borders of the Royal Territory.

Finally, though, the fighting was over. Every Rebel wolf had either perished or fled once they realized they were losing. Tyler, who was in charge after Finnian felt the loss of his mate, had sent a group of Trackers and Warriors after the cowardly Rebels who had ran.  Kieran would have been in charge, but he was distraught over Emiliya.  Tyler was the only one of sound mind.

He had the rest of the Trackers searching for the deceased Queen.

As he was briefing the Trackers, the Keating family poured from all directions and gathered together. Abby ran straight to her mate, sobbing uncontrollably. Jefferson was tearful as well, but tried to keep it together for her. He barely made it through the battle, Matt too. They all felt her die, everyone had, but they had to protect themselves and the rest of the family.