Chapter 9

Chapter 9:

"Kendall..." A heard a whisper echo in the wind.

I spun around in a circle, searching for the source of the voice. I found nothing; just trees and fog saturated with the slivery glow of moonlight. I shivered as I rubbed my arms up and down. I wasn't sure why I was outside in just a sleeveless ball gown, no shoes, in this kind of weather, but I was.

"Kendall..." The deep, desperate voice called out, barely audible as the wind picked up and carried it away.

Suddenly, the voice stopped and a sorrowful howling started in its place. I started running; something primal inside of me forcing my movements.

Trees whipped at my exposed skin, slicing through my tender flesh at the speed I was moving. Jagged rocks and sharp sticks bit into my sensitive, bare feet. I didn't even feel it; almost like I was experiencing an out of body experience and couldn't feel anything besides a desperate need.

A need for what, I didn't know.

Once the trees started to thin out, I started to slow. As I stopped at the tree line, I took in a magnificent castle in front of me. I didn't get to admire it for long, because I heard the voice whispering my name again, coming from the castle.

I could only make out a dark blob from the distance, so I moved closer, my feet carrying me at a sprint.

I stopped ten feet away.

It was a wolf. A dark, abnormally large wolf. Deep golden eyes stared back at me, like they were staring into my soul. The beast whimpered slightly at the distance between us, yet made no move to get closer.

I did that.

I slowly inched closer, licking my dry lips apprehensively. For whatever reason, I was nervous, but not the least bit scared like I should have been. I actually felt safe.

The closer I got, it seemed like there was a tether pulling me in more. It seemed like it was pulling my soul to his, as weird as that sounded. And creepy, since it was an animal after all.

I stopped a foot in front of it, making direct eye contact. It held my gaze and I slowly raised my hand to sift through its soft looking fur.

My fingers were centimeters away before the wolf faded, its howl echoing sadly in my ears.

I never got to touch my wolf

*******************

I woke with a groan, half in frustration and half because of the pain at the base of my skull. I rubbed my eyes, trying to rub the sleep from them. I dragged my palm over my forehead and down my face before I opened my eyes and took in my surroundings.

I was in a car; a different car. And I had been moved to the back seat. How had I slept through that? Why did I always seem to randomly become unconscious around these people? Despite my brain injury, I had never done that before.

"What happened?" I muttered once my eyes landed on Selena, who was right next to me.

I remembered somewhat what happened. She slammed on the brakes when a car pulled in front of us. Then another car boxed us in from behind.

"Nothing. You fell asleep. We got into a little fender bender. Tyler came and got us. I didn't want to wake you up, so he moved you." Selena explained.

My gaze moved to the guy in the front, his eyes already on me, hope and expectancy in them. I had nothing. He was handsome, but I didn't recognize him at all.