Chapter10

I'm sorry this is up a little later than usual but I wanted to put a lot of thought into it. So hope you like it! I wanted to add a little spin.

(Thranduil's pov)

She was next to me. Once again she was back in my arms, but I will let nothing take this away. The dangers of the spiders and a strange darkness is getting stronger. I'm getting worried. Those dwarves do not know what trouble they will cause. I slid out of bed trying not to wake Mireth, but it was no use. Once I turned around her eyes were wide awake.

"Up already?" she asked me.

"Yes. Go back to sleep," I whispered.

"There's something troubling you," she said, sitting up.

There was no hiding anything from her, but when it came to the dwarves and the spiders, I want to keep it a secret. If she even slips away from my grasp there will be more pain for the both of us.

"Nothing. You'll worry me if you don't go to sleep," I answered.

As I watched her nod and place her head back down, I quickly left the room. A guard approached me.

"My king, the threat is growing," he said to me.

Legolas walked up to me and said "We must do something."

"We will do nothing. As long as they do not enter into this palace we will be fine," I said.

Legolas seemed very angry with my answer but he always went against my words. I was aware of everything and I knew everything was only going to get worse. If we wait it out and protect ourselves then no trouble will come. As long as those dwarves do not start trouble we will be safe. The gates flew open and a messenger came forward with a note in his hand.

I rushed up to him and grabbed the note. As I read it my heart began to sink. The dwarves have reached the mountain. Those fools, but with them gone then that only leaves the spoils. If we wait long enough we can go retreat the gems and gold, then this kingdom will truly prosper.

***

I assembled all my troops and sat atop my elk. I was ready to lead my people but I could hear her voice calling from behind me.

"Where do you think you're going?"

I turned and looked down at Mireth who seemed to be very pissed off.

"Do you really think you're leaving without me?" she asked.

"That's what I'm doing," I answered.

Even if I had to be mean to her as long as it meant she would stay I was willing to take the risk. She would forgive me but if she got hurt I would not forgive myself. I signaled the guards to march forward but she stepped in front of me.

"Take me or leave me," she said loudly.

She was not only delaying us but she was attracting the attention of everyone. I could hear Legolas chuckle from behind me.

"Leave you," I said.

I rode forward and she eventually moved to the side. I didn't want to look back because I knew it would make me turn around and get her. Suddenly, I could feel arms wrap around me. I titled my head and saw Mireth smiling at me.

"How did you get up here?" I asked, surprised that she would sneak up on me like that.

"It's called jumping. Now let's go. Don't think you'll ever go anywhere without me," she said gently punching my back.

I smiled and was now comforted that she was with me. If it came to it I would protect her no matter what, but I still had to be a king before everything else. We rode in silence until Mireth started to speak.

"You never told me what was on your mind," she said as she rested her head on my back.

"I told you it was nothing," I answered.

Out of nowhere I could feel a tight pain on my shoulder. It was quick and disappeared before I knew what hit me.

"Liar," she whispered.

I laughed at the sound of her voice as I just recalled what happened.

"Did you just pinch me?" I asked her.

She was silent until she answered "No."

I stopped and sat there for a moment. I could feel her lift her head and start to shout.

"Thranduil. Don't move," she said.

I tried to look out of my peripheral vision, but all I could see was the end of an arrow. Damn it, how could I be so vulnerable? Guards came rushing to my side.

"Ignore me. Stand your ground! This could be an ambush!" I yelled.

I could feel Mireth moving but I could not tell what she was doing. The pain started to grow worse but as I scanned the area I could see no one.

"Ada, whoever it was is gone," Legolas said.

I nodded and then Legolas stared at me, just realizing that I was hit.

It felt like I had no control over my own body. I started to fall back into Mireth's arms.

"Legolas, help me get him down. Guards! Get some...." her words were starting to jumble together.

In that moment all I could think was how pathetic I was. With one arrow I was brought down, in front of my people and in front of the love of my life. Was I really this useless?

**

The rocking feeling of riding on my elk woke me. I opened my eyes slowly and could see we were still heading in the right direction. Long wavy brown hair sat in front of me.

"Mireth," I managed to say.

She turned and smiled.

"Man tôg?" I asked out of curiosity.

We were still heading forward. I assumed Legolas took charge.

"I am," she answered.

At that moment although I hate to admit it, she was a better leader than I was. She saved me.

I shot up and grabbed the reins from her.

"I'll take it from here," I said.

She looked at me and stared for a moment. I gave her a look and she nodded. My arms were around her as I held the reins. My back was in pain so I leaned against her. She was there to support me. I loved to know that she would never betray me. I promised her that I would never hide things, but slowly I was beginning to break that promise. I will never help them. It is them who has placed us in this situation. She thinks we are on our way to help the dwarves when all we seek is the wealth they left behind.

 I know it seems like Thranduil is a bad person but he is getting the wealth for his people. Plus he already thinks the dwarves are dead. Mireth is actually up to something that he does not know about but he is starting to break his promise.

 Man tôg: Who leads? Who is leading?