Ch.18 | 50 Shades of Grey

I decide that it is time for me to go back to lectures -no point in taking out this hefty student loan if I’m not gonna make the most of it. It’s Monday morning and my first lesson is going to be the toughest to get through; English Literature -Nathaniel.

I strut into the lecture hall a little more overdressed than usual. I’m in black jeans with a pair of 4 inch patent yellow ankle-boots, teamed with a retro yellow ‘Little Miss Sunshine’ baby tee that I borrowed from Yoshi. As Yoshi’s frame is a lot smaller than mine the top was VERY snug around my bust and left a bit of my midriff on show for all to see. Over the top is my black leather jacket, plus a huge pair plastic yellow half-moon hoops hanging from my ears.

Apparently there is talk of my social ascension being in decline but I’m determined to show the gossips that it’s still early days and that I wasn’t going anywhere yet. When my time is over it will be on my terms, not theirs.

I ignore the faces that turn to watch me as I make my way to my usual seat in the back. A few murmurs buzz around the room when they realise that I am going to sit next to Nathaniel; they knew something is up between us. Probably that bloody Carter rumour. Why am I going to sit next to him, you ask? Because I can. I’m still not a fan of his, but what strength can I show to my peers if I shy away from him? I need to seem like I’m still in control; sitting next to Nathaniel is merely a social statement. When we were in college and I decided to avoid Nathaniel at every turn after we broke up, it only made me look like a victim. Worse than that, because I was no longer in his company, I no longer got to associate with his crowd –that is not happening this time. I can be somewhat civil if it will aid me in my quest.

I approach the back of the lecture hall, and there, smack-bang in the middle of the row of polyester-cushioned, burgundy, flip-down seats, commanding the attention of three admirers, is Nathaniel.

One of the girls, with a sprinkle of freckles across her nose, spots me coming and nudges her friend. “Oh my God; look who's back!” she gasps with a giggle.

Her friend with long Poetic Justice braids who I recognize as Tanya Woods, one of Georgia’s girls, swings around to make a snotty face at me.

“Ew! Rio Greene. Finally ready to show her face again is she? And what is she wearing? We're in lecture, not Sunday Slam!” she says a little louder than necessary -it’s obvious that she wants me to hear her.

At the sound of my name, Nathaniel stops talking to the leggy blonde girl on his left and glances at me. His expression gives nothing away but I notice him subtly lean away from blondie.

Freckle face leans closer to Tanya and says quietly, “Speaking of Sunday Slam, did you see her leave with Carter Johnson a few weeks back? I heard that was the same night she met him!”

“Ugh, she's so thirsty. I bet she fucked him too!” Tanya laughs.

Nathaniel’s doesn’t like that. The muscle in his jaw is clenching and unclenching.

“She never fucked him!” he growls at her. Tanya stops snickering and takes up a defensive posture,

“And how would you know? You weren't there.”

“Because I know,” he says plainly, unleashing his steeliest glare on her. She doesn’t say another word.

I march down the aisle sneering at Tanya and freckle face who is sitting next to him. I don’t recognize her as part of the ‘in crowd’ so I shall speak to her as tactlessly as I like.

“You’re in my seat.”

She looks up at me and returns an equally venomous look.

“What is this, primary school? The seats aren’t allocated darlin’, so no, I am in fact NOT in your seat.” She cuts her eyes at me and turns back to Nate.