Ch. 7 | Mary Jane

I pull my beige snood around my head and curse the icy November winds for penetrating my light blue jeggings. I knew I should've worn a pair of tights underneath, but foolishly I allowed the unusually bright winter sun to trick me. By the time I made it outside of my dorm building, it seemed long to go all the way back upstairs...plus, I needed to see him.

I stroll stiffly down the familiar cobbled walkway that runs alongside the green tinged babbling brook, overgrown with tall swishy weeds and berry bushes. I continue walking until I spot the break in the leafless hedges and carefully manoeuvre through it, feeling a few awkwardly positioned twigs nipping at my clothes. Once safely through to the other side I straighten up and force the feeling of cold out of my mind as I slink towards him.

Nathaniel is sat at our usual spot on the old creaky garden swing underneath the nature-made cove of Maple trees, with his oversized beanie hat sagging just right on his head, rocking the swing back and forth with a loosely laced Dr. Marten pushing against the soft earth. His eyes are cast downward, focused on lighting the blunt that dangles between his provocatively pink lips. As I get closer I noticed a strip of sliver glinting on the bottom left corner of his lower lip in the light as he draws his mouth in to take a long slow pull.

"You pierced your lip." I state, realising that the silver strip is a hoop that wasn't there the last time I saw him. His eyes flash up at me from under his heavy lashes, appearing as silver as his new piercing in the light. I suck in a breath and clear my throat; no matter how many times I look at him, I will never truly get over how beautiful he is.

Nathaniel raises an amused eyebrow at me, "You slapped Sky," he replies in a tone that has an implication of 'so what?' to it.

I straighten up and hold my head a little higher to indicate that I'm not sorry for what I did yesterday. It may have been a mistake that I'm not all that proud of, but that doesn't mean that I regret it. This isn't down to me trying to be 'Bad Gyal RiRi'; it's because she hurt my feelings. Even as I stand in front of Nathaniel now with her words in my head, I feel as if I'm still not enough.

He puckers his lips into a small oval shape and blows the champagne laced marijuana smoke out into the air.

"You planning on leaving anytime soon?" He asks in his hushed husky tone. I shake my head; "Then take a seat. I won't bite," he smirks before sinking his gleaming white teeth into the soft pink flesh of his lower lip slowly.

Breathe Rio, breathe.

Nathaniel stops swinging long enough to let me sit next to him then continues stretching and relaxing his legs as we rock back and forth together under the Maple tree cove. My heart is fluttering, making me feel quite foolish because Nate looks so at ease as if my being here doesn't faze him in the least.

We've been coming to this spot for about 3 weeks now; just sitting, talking, remembering, feeling and rocking back and forth. The days are getting colder and the nights are coming faster, limiting our time our here and making me long for springtime.

During one of our talks, Nathaniel told me he had discovered this secret escape in his first year here; "No one else knows about this place but me."

"And me." I added.

Nathaniel had looked at me and smiled, "Yes; no one but you and me, Rio."

I remember the way my heart raced when he said it in his simplistically complex way. It was an innocent enough statement, but I could feel that he meant something more. I'm glad he had found this place; it allowed us to be alone together away from prying eyes and running mouths. It wasn't as if we were doing anything wrong -believe me our time spent out here was totally innocent -although there are times when he turns those pearlescent grey eyes on me and I am forced to stare temptation in the face and I just wanna...