Ch. 3 | Clique

“Did you see the look on his face? Oh my God, I totally get that whole ‘looking good is the best revenge’ thing now,” I squeal at Ty from my white compact student bathroom as I apply my soft pink M.A.C lip-gloss.

I admire myself in the mirror that hangs over the sink, rub my lips together, pucker and pout, fluff my curls, give myself the once over, and step outside preparing to measure Ty’s reaction. If he likes it then I am all good to go for the Brompton Fresher’s Rave tonight.

Tyson hasn’t spoken much since we’d left the Fresher’s Fair and I can’t say that I blame him; Nathaniel being here didn’t only bring back painful memories for me.

I knew I have should shut up about it, but I was so elated to see the surprise and regret that shone from my ex-boyfriend’s face when he realised that it was me and how absolutely fabulous I looked.

I glance at Tyson before switching off the bathroom light and feel my happiness switch off with the bulb as I look at him. He is sitting on my bed staring at something that isn’t there, on the opposite side of my room. His eyes hold this distant look that tells me that he hasn’t been listening to me for a while; that I have merely become background noise.

I walk over to the bed slowly in my strappy Jimmy Choo’s and slide up next to him.

“Ty?” I call softly, resting a generously bangled arm on his shoulder. He jolts from my unexpected contact and gives me a weak smile that doesn’t reach his eyes.

“You look beautiful Ri,” he says with a sadness which makes the compliment lose its charm. I hate when he gets like this; it’s bloody awkward. Word to the wise; never get into a relationship with your close friend because you can never go back to the way you once were if it doesn’t work out.

Sighing, I lace my arm around him and pull him to me. His head settles on my shoulder causing his braids to tickle my skin through my top.

“Thank you. Are you all right?” I ask resting my head on top of his. He looks down and nods, pulling away from me slightly.

“Yeah I’m cool. I’m gonna go get dressed now,” he replies getting to his feet.

I stand up and face him but he keeps his eyes on the ground.

“Ty?” I reach out for him. He catches my hand before I can try and coax him into a hug again and throws me another pained smile.

“I’ll meet you outside the Fresher’s rave around 10. A few of the guys from my flat asked if I was gonna roll with them; I said yes. Sorry.”

His confession doesn’t sound as if he is as sorry about it as he should be.

Tyson knows that I don’t have anyone else to go to the Fresher’s Rave with, hence -as my only friend in Brompton…and life in general -he is meant to go with me, not desert me on the first night!

My expression sours and I tug my hand out of his loose grip.

“How could you say ‘yes’? Who am I meant to go with?” I ask haughtily, folding my arms across my chest.

“Well...I figured you could holler at some of the chicks in your flat. If you’re gonna be the Queen of the Brompton first years, you need some ladies in waiting, right?” He smiles, trying to charm me into coming around by using my plan against me. I would have gone for it, except his tone is tainted with sarcasm. As much as Ty is my right hand man, when he gets like this he can easily become public enemy number one. Well that’s fine by me! If he wants to be off with me then I have no problem returning the favour. I shall assemble my clique of female cronies tonight and begin my reign over Brompton without him!