Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Hi guys! These updates will be slow and even though I have Chapter 14 written, I need to work on it due to a mistake I made in a few chapters before. It's not a big mistake but it interferes with the plot line. I hope this will be a quicker update. Vote if you enjoy! Happy reading.

“Amber, wake up.”

Marian's firm voice stirred me from a dark sleep filled with strange, multicolored bubbles. I coughed psychotically until my vision cleared and I could make out two familiar figures above me. Lucius and Marian had their heads pressed together near my face, relief filled eyes, and faint smiles on their faces.

I made an unintelligible sound as a response and forced my eyes wider. I twisted my head to the side and pain rocketed through my hip and cheek. I reached up to the small wound on my face from earlier and my fingers were smeared with dirt and a small trace of blood, the bandage long gone.

Lucius leaned farther down and helped me sit up by grabbing my waist. I winced and looked down at my side. I lifted my shirt but I couldn't see anything there so I could expect a monster bruise later. I looked up at the two and gave a them a weird look.

“What happened?” I questioned. I slowly tried to recall what happened before I hit the ground. The running back. Russell seeming injured. A scream. Then nothing.

“The door was enchanted with a spell to keep intruders out.” I turned my head toward Russell, his eyes staring through me as he stood away from me. He licked his lips and assessed me from head to toe. “Are you alright?”

I looked up at him, not feeling like it was an actual question.

“Are you alright?” I squinted my eyes as if to see him better. Images of him clutching his side as we wobbled/ran away.

He rolled his eyes like I asked the most ridiculous question he'd ever heard.

“I'm peachy.” He flitted his eyes away from my body and shifted uncomfortably. His hair had dirt streaks in it and his clothes were disheveled. It was an out of place look for him.

I directed my attention back to the other two.

“Do they know we're here now?” I asked, my mind flashing to the horrid creature I saw earlier.

“I don't know.” Marian bit her lip and stretched out a long arm to help me stand. “They haven't come out to check.”

“They have to know we're here. She wouldn't stop screaming.” Russell stated, looking over at me again.

“Wait, what?” My eyes popped open.

“The spell made you delirious.” He added. His eyes flashed briefly and his mouth twitched.

“And I thought you were acting delirious.” I said it without smiling and my voice sounded more serious than I intended. His face twisted like I stabbed him.

“We should get out of here regardless.” Lucius suggested hurridly. He shifted his weight anxiously and glanced to the right.

“He's right.” Marian said, looking around. She reached down and picked up a small rock. It was pale green and out of ordinary.

“What's that?” I asked.

“Lucius and I found it outside the front door.” She shook her head like it was absurd.

I didn't understand why she brought it with her. That was mostly because I didn't understand why anyone here did anything. I ran a hand through my hair, my ponytail missing and dirt streaked through it. I looked at where we were and It didn't really look familiar.We were over the fence so Russell must have climbed over to get to me. My sunk my teeth into my bottom lip when I thought about when he fell earlier.