Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I woke up surprised, expecting to be in my familiar bed or maybe even on a dirty bathroom floor but neither of those likely scenarios were there. My face was squished against a pillow and the cotton bedsheets were tangled in my legs. I swiped my arm across my forehead and groggily rolled over. My stomach growled and a delicious smell filled my nose. I wanted to get up and see what it was but I didn't want see anyone right now. Especially Russell. It was far too awkward and painfully agonizing to deal with. It was burning up in this room. I was sweaty, my hair matted to face. I sat up, looking at the small room. I kind of liked it in here.

Before my feet hit the floor, the door flung open and Marian walked in, her dark wavy hair flapping against her cheeks.

“Good! You're awake.” She smiled softly. I was catching on to her overly bright personality.

“Hey.” My voice was groggy.

She motioned to a door I didn't notice before.

“There's the bathroom. I was guessing you wanted to take a shower. There are still clothes in that dresser and more in the closet.” She motioned again to another door.

“Thanks.” I stood up and folded my arms.

“When you're done just come to the kitchen.” She smiled.

Where was the kitchen again?

The confusion must have been on my face because she said if I needed help to just walk across the hall and talk to Russell.

Like that would ever happen.

When I was done in the shower, I wiped the steam off the mirror and did a double take. My hair was curlier than it had ever been. It was even damp. I sighed in frustration. Not only was having curly hair a hassle, I was in Mississippi humid air. Mississippi...God. I put my hair up in a loose bun and went searching for some clothes. I went with jean capris and a red tank. The capris kind of looked like pants on me though. I glanced at the bedside table and saw the orange drink that I didn't open. Someone must have brought it in. My face heated delightedly as I thought about Russell bringing it in while I slept.

Oh, Gees. I'm so weird. Forget I thought of that scene.

I took a deep breath and opened the door out of the room I looked down both ends of the hall and shook my head in confusion. They both cut off and angled in different directions so I couldn't see a dead end. I went with going right. A few steps and I realized that was a bad idea. Dead end. I pouted and turned around, colliding with a warm body.

“Oof,” I said as arms caught me. I looked up and met soft brown eyes

“Hey,” Lucius grinned. “need help finding the kitchen?”

I smiled. “If you wouldn't mind.”

“No problem.” He put his arm around my shoulder and led me in the other direction, my bare feet slapping against the wooden floor.

“Hey, what's today?” I asked, already becoming oddly comforted with his presence. It's weird. Whenever Russell touched me, my hair stood up on end, like electricity. With Lucius, it's just comfortable. Friendly. Like the first shine of sunlight

“Friday.”

Today was Friday... I met Russell on Monday. I knew him for two days before he freaking kidnapped me. It's weird. I feel like I've known him much longer than that. I must have been out for a long time during the ride to Mississippi. That's still strange to think about too. I think I missed a history test yesterday. I thought about how Ellen dragged me to Michelle's place. Who's idea was it to get drunk during the week? Ellen, of course. So terrifyingly predictable.