Chapter 11

Chapter 11

It was getting kind of late when I decided to take a walk by the lake with Lucius. I was greatful for Lucius's friendship. He kept me grounded and was a lot of fun to be around. I was being quiet today though instead of yammering his ear off or challenging him to some sort of race. I couldn't stop thinking about the book and Russell. I was starting to go crazy with thoughts.

“Did you want to talk about something?”

Surprised, I looked over at Lucius. He was still walking next to me, assessing me with his dark eyes, the last bit of the sun reflecting gold and green in them.

“No, I'm fine.” I shook my head and knocked my shoulder playfully with his. We walked farther up until we reached the end of the dock. I plopped down with a soft sigh, kicking off my shoes and dipping my feet into the lake.

“You can tell me what's bothering you, you know.” He sat by me and put a hand on my arm. I shrugged him off, feeling out of it. He took a deep breath and leaned against one of the dock poles, his muscles rippling in his shirt. Russell and Lucius were both very well built. Lucius more so but Russell's muscle's were still pretty nice. I looked out to the lake again, this time with frustration. I was even comparing uselessly.

“Is it Russell?”

My eyes widened as I flipped my head from the lake and in his direction. He had a soft smile on his lips as his eyes lit up with understaning.

“I-ugh-I...” I swallowed down the strange taste in my mouth at his accusation.

“It's okay.” he laughed. “I kind of figured it out.”

Great. Just.....great. The last thing he needed to think was that I had a huge freaking crush on Russell. Which I so didn't. I mean that. Okay, I'm lying. But I wasn't going to say it out loud. Not even to myself.

Lucius smiled at me and poked me with his foot.

“You don't have to say anything. I know Russell's probably confusing you. I think that's his way. Have you tried talking to him?” He sat up and held out his hand. The sun was quickly going down and we should be getting back.

I shook my head and let him help me to my feet. He wrapped one arm around me and started walking me back to the house without asking questions. I sighed and wrapped my arms around his waist, letting him practically carry me. He laughed, rubbing my back as we made it up to the walkway. I was so grateful to have him here. We became great friends fast and it was what made this new change in my life a lot more acceptable.

I was looking down at the ground but when Lucius said hello to someone, my head shot up. Russell had his arms crossed his chest like a pissed off wife. I cracked a smile at the display and straightened up, getting out of Lucius's grasp.

“I'll see you later, Amber.” Lucius waved and walked into the house. I stood in front of Russell as he watched Lucius with his eyes until he disappeared.

He looked over at me with a displeased expression on his face.

“What do you think you're doing?” He asked, and edge in his voice.

“What?” My eyes widened and I mimicked his stance by crossing my arms.

He stared at me for a long time, his eyes cold and over calculating.

“Hello?” My voice was sharp. He kept staring until he just shook his head and uncrossed his arms, looking down. I started walking forward and his head slowly came up.

I let out an angry noise “You are just so—” I was cut off by the look on his face. He looked sad.

“Russell...” I trailed off and took a small step toward him.