Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Mr. Josephs had a serious hearing problem. If a bomb went off he'd probably just mess with his cheap hearing aid and ask if someone said something. The first twenty minutes was him messing with the presentation board and then the rest of the thirty minutes going over a worksheet that he never checked to see if we actually did. I usually sat in the desk in the very back and propped my feet up in the empty chair in front of me to pass the time. It was actually suppose to be AP History, hence the reason that neither Ellen or Elliot were in here.

“Okay class, we urm....what was it I was doing?” I smiled as Mr. Josephs crackled. “Oh yes, class we have a new student that will be joining us for the rest of the semester.” I glanced up from the continuous doodling on my notebook and did a double take. Crap.

Why did this have to be like every teen drama romance thing? Couldn't it of been a christian female blonde trying to do what she thinks is best for the world enter the classroom instead of the extremely attractive guy that is sandy haired, blue eyed, nicely framed, heart wrenching, flawless—you get the point. I swallowed. His deep eyes were dancing as he studied my reaction. A small smile played on his lips as my hand tightened on my mechanical pencil.

“I'm sorry what did you say your name was?” Mr. Josephs asked, walking over to where he stood leisurely by the door.

“Russell.” He said, apparently having no intention of giving away his last name.

“Like the cabbage?” Mr. Joseph asked, clearly confused. The class snickered and the cocky smile dropped from Russell's face. Mr. Joseph seemed to have realized he made a mistake as he readjusted his glasses while studying a piece of paper that was bound to have Russell's name on it. He walked back over to his desk and waved his shaky hand at the class.

“Find an empty seat.”

Now, there were three empty seats. One at the front of the room, one right next to the teachers desk, and the one that my feet were resting in. He could of sat anywhere but he just had to start to walking toward me.

“Excuse me.” He said, tapping the tip of my worn converse. I glared at him and slowly, one foot at a time put my feet on the ground. He smiled at me again and slid into the seat. He was sitting in front of me so I couldn't help but look at the back of his head. The smell of his cologne filled my nose and the air conditioning vent above wasn't helping anything.

To my strange fascination, his hair actually curled around his neck instead of laying flat. I had a strange desire to wrap one around my finger. As a matter of fact, I wanted to run both of my hands through his hair, fingers tangling in the curls at the end. I refrained from doing so by lacing my fingers in my lap and looking down at my notebook. It was working. Until he tilted his head back and rubbed his neck. His cologne might as well have been sprayed right in the classroom. In my face. My nose twitched. How could such an overpowering scent still smell so good?

I leaned my head against the wall behind me and closed my eyes. Breathing was difficult, even through the mouth because it kept watering. I looked up at the clock and glared. Thirty more agonizing minutes until can I haul ass out the door. I moved my folded hands from my lap and rested them on the desk. What the Hell is happening to me? I pursed my lips and watched how his hair faintly moved from the AC. Stalker much?

To say I spent the rest of my time in there in agony is a bit of an understatement. All I know is that as soon as that bell rang I shot out of there before I did something stupid like pounce on him and molest his hair. Maybe all of those stuffed away teenage hormones were getting to me like Ellen said they would. But I thought that was a myth so I blew her off. But that still didn't explain the way he looked at me. As if he knew that I was internally suffering.

I made my way through the crowd of people when a hand pulled me backwards. I caught my balance in time and looked behind me.

“Hey what do you-”

Russell was standing farther away then I thought he should have been, considering he had pulled me back by hand. He was wearing a plain white shirt and a pair of dark washed jeans that complimented his blue eyes—for some unfathomable reason.

“You left this.”

He held up my bright green notebook that I was sure—no positive was in my bag during class. I gave him a look and walked up to him, holding out my hand.

“Thanks.”

He stepped into me and placed the notebook in my hand.

“There you go then.”

I ran a free hand through my hair as he stood there—staring. Well I was too but only because he was looking at me first! He wasn't smiling this time but fixedly staring at me as if I was a confusing specimen. Or a delicious piece of steak. I have to admit, the latter kinda appealed to me more.

“Yeah.” I said, shifting my feet away from him. “Thanks again.”

“It was my pleasure.” He responded.

His pleasure? What is this? I shook my head and decided to play along. I backed away slowly, keeping my eyes on him and pushing the attraction down for a moment.

“Oh no good sir,” I started sarcastically. “the pleasure.....is all mine.”

I flashed a smile and then disappeared down the hall.

***

I met up with Ellen at the end of the day, per usual. She was leaning on the door to my car with her ridiculous pink handbag already resting in the passenger seat.

“Elliot's coming.” She informed me. I sighed.

“Alright. What's taking him so long?” I walked over to my car and unlocked the doors that Ellen hadn't already opened.

“He's gotta get that form thing for he football team again.” My ears perked up.

“I thought he wasn't doing that again.” As far as I knew Elliot hated football. She shrugged.

“It's gotta do with something that his dad wants for him.” So that's it. He's trying to impress his old man. I hopped in the front seat and turned on the AC. Ellen came around the car and slid in the passenger seat while we waited.

“Are you going to Miranda’s party tonight?” I asked, curious.

“Only if you and Elliot go.” She turned to me with a pleading expression.

“Okay.” I agreed. She looked shocked.

“What happened to you since the last time I saw you today?”

“Nothing, why?”

“Well you seem rushed or excited for some reason.”

I laughed.

“I just need a little....party time.” It sounded okay.

“Alright.” She said, losing interest.

The back door opened and a large bag plopped in followed by Elliot and a football uniform.

“Hey ladies.” He greeted friendly.

“Hey.” We said harmoniously as I started the car.

“We're going to Miranda's for the party. Wanna join?” Ellen asked while looking straight ahead.

“You and Blaze? I thought I'd never see the day when you went willingly.” He said to me, laughing as I sighed loudly.

“Are you going or not?” I asked.

“I'll go. You'll have to drop me off to grab another set of clothes then we'll go off.

“Fine.”

I don't know why, but I had a really, really bad feeling about this.