Helen

Katie & Kylie

Katie & Kylie

Folding the clothes that had finally dried in the hot sun, I keep an ear out for when the girls come to the only home they had known. We had been in this area the longest, for about 3 years and it was working. But I knew that the leaders were getting antsy about being so close to the wolves. Which means we will probably have to pack up and leave sooner than later.

Hearing the ruffling of the tent flap opening and excited chatter, I turn to look at my sweaty children. Kylie had a large bruise on her forearm, and her hair was very messy, splayed across her forehead. Katie, on the other hand, had a scraped up knee with rocks and dirt in it and a small cut on her cheek. Yet they were both grinning, at 12 and 15 they both wanted to be warriors to protect their people. So they took the repercussions with stride.

"She goes hard on everyone today?" I asked while ushering Katie over to the small stool we had and Kylie plopped down on the makeshift bed.

"Yeah, mom. But you wouldn't believe what she showed us?! She showed up how to get out of a chokehold and then we sparred with the move. Then after everyone got that down, we went and sparred against everyone. I was paired with Madeline, but mom! Tallis chose Kylie to fight against her!" Looking up at my daughter who was talking a mile a minute before raising an eyebrow and looking at Kylie who blushed with a small smile looking down into her lap.

"Yeah ma, after we had sparred she said that I had real potential. She told me that I fought like dad did. Maybe I can be a true warrior after all?" Swallowing the lump in my throat, I blink back the tears at the mention of Henry, their father.

Focusing on getting the rocks out of Katie's knee and bandaging it up I allow myself to think about Henry. He had been the love of my life until he was taken away two years ago. He is the one who found Tallis in the state she was while he was patrolling. Alarick then made him lead hunter and warrior in Tallis' place while she was healing and then throughout her pregnancy. The two had been very close, in turn leading her to be close to us. She often referred to Henry and me as her second parents.

Standing up I helped Katie to sit beside Kylie as I squatted in front of them both. "You both are so much like your father; you will never know how much you truly are. If he were still here, he would be very proud of you both." Sending them a watery smile, I got up. "Alright get cleaned up. It's almost time for lights out."

Heading to the back to finish folding the clothes I pick up one of their sparring pants when I heard the unmistakable sound. Freezing I looked to the girls who were helping each other wash off. Opening my mouth to call them back or to call the warning sound, I don't know which because it turned into a scream as a wolf with beady red eyes jumped in and went for the closest person to it, which was Katie. Two others soon joined the wolf, one who went after Kylie and the other jumped on me. Hearing the girl's terrified screams soon was quieted as the wolves ripped their throats out.

Looking up into the wolf above me, I looked it in the eyes and all I could think was, 'Here we come Henry.' And then it was over.