Thirty Six - His Mate

Chapter Thirty Six - His Mate

Meeting Lana made me feel grateful of myself. I'm glad I'm no longer in this pack.

"So you were previously Daniel's mate?" She asked me in a calm voice. Her eyes, on the other hand, were anything but calm. Her hazel irises were gleaming with fire as she stared at me.

I smirked at her. Her efforts at making me feel intimidated were appreciated. But now even Blood Devil can't make me feel intimidated. This girl holds no light to him in that respect. So in the end, I was at ease.

"Yeah, something like that." I shrugged.

"And why were you calling my mate yours?" She gritted her teeth on sensing I wasn't least but scared by her angry gaze.

"I have no idea. He's not my mate." I wonder if Daniel has told her about Shea. I gave him a sideways glance. He was sitting beside his mate nervously.

Lana's growl brought my attention back to her. She was an Alpha female. Daniel had got a very nice mate. I have to admit that. She is the right choice for him. Now I understand what Wilson meant by 'chosen mate'.

She didn't have any mark on her neck. I wonder how long it had been since they both have been together. I peeped into Daniel's brain and found it hadn't been more than a week.

After returning from Blue Moon pack, he was kept under Alpha Wayne's command until he met his mate. Looks like his father already knew who his mate was. That old man knows so many things.

"But don't worry. I have no interest in him." I tried to reassure her. "I'm not here for him. I need to talk to his father."

Lana narrowed her eyes at me. Her dirty blonde hair fell on her eyes. She tucked them behind her ear keeping untrusting eyes on me the whole time.

"Are you telling me that you are okay with your mate being with someone else?" She baited. Jealousy is an evil thing. It makes you say things you don't want to. She just called Daniel my mate.

"Are you giving me an offer?" I retorted.

"Are you taking it?"

"What if I take it?"

Daniel threw me a dark glare. He held her hand in a tight grip to cool her down.

I think Daniel was never meant to lead a pack. The position was for his mate. An Alpha female, huh?

"I won't give him to you." She spoke protectively.

Daniel looked at his mate with loving and admiring eyes. She won't give him to me. When I look back, I never really fought for Daniel when he decided to be with Shea. Maybe because he was not really my mate.

"Relax, I'm not gonna take him." I smiled.

Now I realize what was different in the air of this pack. It was the presence of Daniel's mate. The atmosphere of the pack was positive.

"Hey Daniel," I asked him. "Now that Dave is not here, who is the beta of this pack?"

"No one," he replied. "I've sent parties tu search for him and his mate. I hope they are okay."

"They are okay," I told him. "I talked to him before coming here. He's going to return with Manny and their baby boy."

Daniel's eyes shot up in surprise. "Baby boy?"

"I'm an aunt now." I grinned. I had called Dave before entering the territory and he had given me that amazing news.

"That's good. Congratulations!"

He looked at Lana with a smile. She returned his gaze with same emotions. With Shea he was totally blind. With me, he only looked at his past. But with Lana he looks at his future.

"I think you both are planning something same." I injected breaking their eyes contact.

"Wh-what?" Lana stuttered, her cheeks turned red.

"I'm happy for you." I spoke truthfully.

When had I entered the territory of this pack, my mind was filled with all negative feelings as a result of spending a month in that dungeon. Once outside, I feel much better.

"Thanks," Daniel smiled at me. Lana looked surprised.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"I thought you were some kind of bitch or something-"

"LANA!" Daniel scolded.

"-but you are nice." She admitted ignoring her mate.

"Thanks," I said. "But I'm here for your father, Daniel. Where is he?"

Daniel's face dropped at that. He seemed sad.

He was about to open his mouth but then his eyes glazed over. I immediately peeped into his mind as his expressions changed.

I'm coming right away. He says back to someone through the link. I missed the first half of conversion.

"What happened?" Lana asked softly. She must have sensed his tension too.

"Dad collapsed. He is taken to hospital."

*** ***

"What did the doctor say?" Lana asked  Daniel as the doctor left.

"Dad is okay. He had a cardiac arrest." Daniel explained her while I made my way into the room where his father was resting.

Alpha Wayne falling ill in such a situation will create problems for me in kidnapping him.

As I entered the room, Luna was sitting beside her mate. Her wan face was lost of any hope. She looked devastated as she held his hand. As soon as I entered, she gave me a weak smile. I returned it with hesitation.

"You are here to talk to him, aren't you?" She asked in a soft voice.

I opened my mouth but no words came out.

Alpha Wayne opened his eyes and directed his weak gaze towards me.

"S-Sera," he stuttered, "I'm sorry."

His eyes were losing their light. It was obvious. The man was going to die.