Eight- Manny the Mate

Chapter eight - Manny the Mate

Sera's P.O.V.

"Shhh..." I put my finger on my lips signalling Dave to keep quiet.

He nodded his head and headed to the front door as I followed him closely behind.

I don't know what will be Manny's reaction when she will see me but I hope she won't break my bones for leaving unannounced like that and abandoning our birthday plans. I never said goodbye, never left a note for her. Though the reference of rogue in that letter might have cleared everything but I know she wouldn't have believed it. She knew Daniel was my mate. She was the only one to believe me.

I stepped in front of Dave and knocked at the door waiting patiently for Manny to open it. Faint footsteps could be heard along with jumbled thoughts. It's strange I'm able to hear Manny's thoughts. Maybe it's because she is Dave's mate.

It was hard to make out what was she thinking. There were so many thoughts in her brain that it started to give me a headache. But I could clearly intercept some swear words she was shouting inside her head. I shut her off as the bustle her brain was too much for me.

The door opened revealing my best friend who looked better than before. Gone were her glasses and baggy clothes. I guess her braces were also gone. She looked better than Shea actually. We both have gone under changes. Past year served well for her too.

She froze when her eyes fell on me. They were wide open and I was tempted to read her thoughts again but something inside me told that I'm smart enough not to do something like that. She didn't blink and neither breathed. She was standing like a statue. Her eyes were wide like a deer caught in headlights.

Her mouth turned in a shape of 'o' as if she had started recognizing something.

"S-Sera?" She guessed.

I smirked at her. I've met three people who I knew from my past- Dave, Daniel and Manny. I guess I should get used to hearing 'S-Sera' now.

"Hi Manny," I smiled at her.

"A-are you S-Sera?" She asked. I guess I have this effect on people. I leave them stuttering. If I can leave mighty Manny dumbstruck, I think I can conquer the world.

I nodded my head. She smiled widely before engulfed me in a bone crushing hug. I wrapped my arms around her too, smiling.

She pulled away, her hands holding my shoulder.

"I can't believe it's you! Oh My God! I knew it! I knew you were still alive! I knew you were somewhere there! I knew you would come back! I just knew it! I always prayed to Moon Goddess for your well being and see, you're here. Oh My God! You are here, standing in front of me, all transformed. You look like you've just won the supermodel contest! God you look so beautiful!" She ranted. She's the only one to speak a paragraph within five seconds of meeting me. I guess my effect was not that strong after all.

"Why, thank you." I said smiling at her. She is the same friend. Nothing has changed except for her appearance.

"Well, hi Manny. I'm your mate." Dave said sarcastically clearly not happy by the fact that for the whole time he was standing there, Manny didn't even threw him a single glance.

"Don't be jealous Dave. I see you every day but I've seen my best friend after a year. God I miss her so much." Manny said dragging me inside.

Dave rolled his eyes and followed us to living room.

This place has not changed over last year. It's still the same. I smile and take seat on the familiar brown leather couch which is more comfortable than bed.

"Wait, let me get you something to drink." Manny said and disappeared into kitchen.

Dave sat at my side.

"I've missed you so much and she has too." He told me. He had said this to me when we were at forest. It feels good every time I hear it.

"I can see that." I said chuckling.

Manny came back, or should I say dashed back, with orange juice. It was my favorite. She smiled and handed it over to me. She occupied the seat to my other side.

"How are you my dear friend?" Manny asked with a broad smile. She was smiling a lot. It was nice.

"I'm extremely fine. I lost my wolf during transformation but it is all okay now." I said shrugging casually. I have told this thing to Dave too. Not a pleasant story but there's no need to hide. Besides I'm sure I look better even without my wolf.

It's sad I lost my wolf but I'm not very much complaining life after that.

She gave me a sympathetic look and I smiled feebly at her. Her expressions then transformed to one I've not seen her wearing yet.

"And what about your mate?" She asked the dreadful question.

I wanted to tell her everything but I couldn't. Neither can I lie to her. I don't want to hide anything from her and I think it'd be good to tell her the truth but I can't risk Dave. And from what I've learnt about mates, Dave will somehow get truth out of her if he comes to know that she knows something. So I decided to give her the same I answer I gave to Dave.

"I don't want to talk about it." I said in a sad tone. I slumped my shoulders as a sign of defeat. She nodded her head.

"Okay...." She drawled.

"Where were you for whole year?" She asked another question that I didn't want to answer.

"Somewhere. Some people found me and took care of me." I told her. It was not exactly the lie.

"Where?" She asked.

"North or South. I don't want to talk about it. I'm back now. Stop bombarding me with the questions of my past and tell me what's happening in the pack." I said in a casual tone.

"Pack is going well. There is nothing special except for the fact that Alpha is nuts." Manny grumbled the last sentence.

"Why?" I asked frowning even though I already know the answer.

"He never cares what happens in the pack. We have been attacked by rogues and many of our pack members are killed and abducted but he doesn't care at all. All he does is drink and bark orders. I have to take charge of anything." Dave told me.

I nodded my head. What can you expect from an Alpha who doesn't care about his own mate? He doesn't deserve the position.

"I wonder what's wrong with him." Manny said facing the wall in front of us but I could see her peeking at me from the corner of her eyes.

She wants me to admit he is my mate but I won't do that. I've already done it once and no one believed me. Now it's his turn.

"Who knows?" I sighed with a hint of smile on my lips.

I haven't returned for nothing.