Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six

Day 453 of-
No.
It doesn't matter when Lachlan is getting released anymore.
This is about him.

It's almost been two days since Preston abandoned his family. He's only gotten one call - from Jerome who asked why he wasn't home. He replied with something like "I'm alright, just decided I wanted to eat at a place that's in the city. Should be home soon." Which was all a lie.

Once he left Lachlan in the visitation room and all that searching for contraband bullshit was over, he went to the car. Mitch's car. Preston told himself it wasn't stealing if Mitch wasn't there to use it. He reached over into the back seat to pull his backpack, that had everything he thought he would need, on his lap.

He takes everything out, making sure it was all there, then put it back in, setting it on the seat next to him to be used in a later time. Then he started driving and he didn't stop.

It was dark where he was, but the sun was just beginning to rise. He sighed, knowing Jerome would wake up soon and realize he still isn't home.

Preston pulled out the map he brought with him, using the flash light on his phone so he could figure out where he is. He ran his fingers across the highway he took, counting the miles every inch or so. His fingers stopped as he reached where he was. He smiled in satisfaction.

He drove 1,360 miles.
He's in Utah.

• •

Jerome woke up to Vik shaking him vigorously. His mind is cursing but his body is sitting up and opening his eyes. He blinks at Vik who shoves Ruby in his arms.

"I've got to get to work, sorry," Vik said.

"That's alright, I just need to get some coffee in me."

Ruby giggles cheerfully. "Can I have coffee?"

"No."

Jerome yawned, brushing the sheets off him. He thinks nothing of it once he sees Preston's bed empty as he makes his way down the hall and stairs. Walking into the kitchen, he groaned to see no coffee brewed.

As he impatiently drummed his fingers against the table, Ruby piped up. "Where's Daddy Preston?"

Jerome scratched his arm, again thinking nothing of Preston not being there. "Probably out for a run, he does that when he can't sleep."

"I don't get that, if I can't sleep Daddy Preston tells me a bed time story... Maybe I should tell him a bed time story when he gets back."

Jerome smiled at her thoughtfulness, "That's a great idea, Ruby."

The phone started to ring, making the whole counter buzz where it was left when someone used it last. Jerome almost whined, he's too tired for this shit.

"Hello?"

"Incoming call from Dixon Correctional, do you wish to answer it?" Jerome sighed, great. Lachlan was calling him for fucking cigarettes at this god awful time. "Yes."

"This phone call is recorded for safety purposes," The robotic voice drowned on.

"Jerome... Is Preston there?"

Just as Lachlan said this, the front door opened  and closed loudly. "Yup, he just got back from a run I think-" He grew silent as Rob strolled through the kitchen.