Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four

Day 24 of 2190

The sun was shining directly in his eyes when Preston woke up. The only thing he could focus on was the loud crash followed by shouting from downstairs.

Preston grumpily grabbed a shirt on the floor and put it on. He walked to Ruby's room, opening the door to see her sat up in her bed, rubbing at her tired eyes.

"What was that noise?" She blinked at Preston.

"I'm not sure, how about we go check it out?"

She nodded slowly, removing herself to follow Preston downstairs. Who was impatient with how how long she takes to go down each step, just picked her up and walked down the rest of the way.

Jess, Vik, Alfie, and Rob all fell completely silent as Preston entered with Jerome just behind him.

Preston turned backwards, looking at Jerome who was just as unsure of what to say as him.

There was silence before he finally spoke, "What did you do?"

"Rob broke the X-Box," Jess accused, and suddenly the yelling started again.

Preston legit facepalmed. Of course he did.

He walked over to the couch, where the xbox is in pieces on the floor in front of it.

"That is broken," Ruby whispers like its the most terrible thing in the world.

"I didn't mean to," Rob said sadly. "Lachlan got it for us... And I broke it."

"He didn't mean to break it," Jess agreed.

"What happened?"

"I was trying to move the tv stand, I moved the tv off of it but forgot the x-box was there too, I accidentally tilted it and the x-box slipped out, and I... Dropped the tv stand on it."

"It's alright," Jerome said as he awkwardly patted his shoulder. "We can get a new one... When we get the money."

Jess, Rob, Alfie, and Vik all collectively groaned.

The front door opened and in came Mitch, smiling brightly, with a cup holder full of coffee. The smile on his face was whipped off as soon as he saw the x-box. "Nooo! WHO BROKE IT!? Whoever broke it gets no coffee!"

"I didn't mean too," Rob said exasperated, throwing his hands in the air.

"You're giving him coffee, Mitch. Don't be fucking rude." Preston glared over at his brother, smiling at himself once he realized he just mimicked a Kardashian. All he needed was a purse to hit Mitch with.

They flocked to the kitchen, where Mitch handed out coffee's to everyone, and Jerome started working on some pancakes.

"I miss him." Vik says suddenly.

Preston puts his paper cup of coffee down on the table, his eyes growing damp eyes. "Yeah. Me too."

"Me three," Ruby sing-songs.

"We're going to visit him with Jerome on Wednesday, aren't we?"

"Yup!"

"I scheduled for me to take the kids to see him next week on Friday after school," Vik says.

Preston smiles. "That's nice of you."

• •

Day 36 of 2091

Stepping into the visiting room, Vik can't help but think of a film he'd watched just the other day. The villain ended up in a prison and was visited by the protagonist, the visitation room looked nothing like the one in the movie. Although, there was a guy sat in the center of the otherwise empty, gray room that looked just like the villain. He almost wanted to laugh, but there was a time and a place, and besides, Lachlan might find it offending.