Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

Rob stared around the bar in disbelief. How the fuck was Calvin gone already? He was more slippery than water, and Rob had already failed Mitch. Fuck.

Rob turned to Paco and asked, "Did you see where Calvin went?"

Paco pointed to the back door. "Went out the back when brown-haired dude started puking blood."

Calvin could be fucking anywhere right now. Rob got out his phone and dialled Vikk's number. "Rob, what's up?" He asked.

"Mitch threw up blood," Rob said, nodding to Paco as he walked out of the bar.

"What?" Vikk said. "Are you joking?" Rob could hear him relay the news to Lachlan.

"Micheal took him the hospital. Mitch said for us to continue looking for Calvin."

"Didn't find him?" Vikk asked. "Lou knew next to nothing about where Calvin was. We've looked for him at all the dumpsters left of the MacIntyre bridge, and we were about to head to check the bench on Wesley Park."

"There's no point," Rob said, "because we already found him."

"Of course he was at the fucking bar."

"And we also lost him," Rob finished. He could hear Vikk curse under his breath and Lachlan ask Vikk what was wrong. "But that doesn't matter. I know where Preston's meds are."

There was a quick moment of static while Vikk talked to Lachlan, and then he came back on. "Okay, this is what we're gonna do. Lachlan and I are gonna come pick you up right now, we're gonna go get Preston's meds, and then we're gonna go see Mitch at the hospital. Sound good? Can you do that for me?"

"Just hurry the fuck up, I'm worried about him," Rob said, hanging up. Vikk was so patronizing sometimes. "Asshole." Rob searched for Jess' number on his Favorite's list and then called her.

"Did you find him?" Jess asked upon answering.

"No, but Vikk and Lachlan are going to help me right now," Rob said to her. "Mitch started puking blood."

"Holy shit," Jess whispered, and then louder, "Holy shit!" She pulled away for a moment and Rob heard her yell at Jerome, "Mitch is throwing up blood what does that mean?!" There was a moment of quiet murmuring and then Jess returned to the phone, sounding breathless and worried.

"Jerome said it could be a stomach ulcer or radiation poisoning, but now he's freaking out."

"I'm sure Mitch is fine. Vikk, Lachlan and I are gonna go get Preston's meds," Rob said. "But he might like you guys there. You can decide."

"Alright," Jess said. She let out a long breath. "Have you called Preston yet? Does he know?"

"I didn't have the chance yet," Rob said, "but I was gonna call him after you."

"Don't worry about it, I'll call him," she said. "Look, call me when you get his meds, okay? And then call me when you're going to the hospital."

"Roger that," Rob said, hanging up, and then waited for Vikk and Lachlan.

• •

Vikk pulled up in front of the bar, Lachlan looking displeased in the seat next to him. Rob jumped into the backseat. "So where are we going?"

"I don't know exactly," Rob started.

"Jesus fucking Christ," Lachlan said, rubbing his hands over his face. "Where is Calvin again?"