Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One

Once Lily left, everyone gathered in the kitchen to come up with a game-plan. No one knew the reason why Lachlan was arrested, but the list of things he could be arrested for is long. They would get him out.

"Shouldn't Preston be apart of this?" Rob asked, sitting down at the table inbetween Vikk and Jess. "Let him sleep," Mitch replied quietly.

Mitch was sat next to Jerome, who had a pen and paper in front of him. Everyone else was silent besides Ruby who giggled and talked to everyone - clearly she wasn't worried and/or phased at what had just happened.

Jerome sighed before beginning his pitch, "This isn't the first time one of us has been arrested, we know what's up. We need to stay strong, and stay united as a family. First things first, no matter what the charges are, when around anyone that has say in Lachlan's case, we talk him up like he is the best fucking person out there, that this is some giant shock that he was arrested. Secondly, gather whatever money you can find, we're going to need it to pay his bail. We're poor, make sure they know it. In the morning, Mitch and I are going to head to the police station-"

"In the morning?" Jess' body language started to tense up and close off.

"They won't tell us jack now. It's best if we all rest up. It's destined to be a long day tomorrow," Mitch stated, deciding bluntness was the best way to go.

"I guess that makes sense..." Jerome stared at Jess for a moment before starting up again. "I know this might seem to be an awful plan, but trust me on this guys."

"Do you really think we can get him out this time?" Alfie pipes up.

"No, but I don't know what the hell I would do without him, so I have to stay hopeful. And you should too."

"Don't worry," Ruby sing-songs, "The knight will protect us."

Mitch's demeanor brightens, remembering the story he told to Ruby about the knight who protects the house again monsters. No one else understood what Ruby said like he did, but it still lightened the mood nevertheless.

Meanwhile, Preston laid restless in his bed. His mind was buzzing with ideas. He grabbed some ragged notebook he found underneath his bead and started writing everything he thought down.

Lachlan is such a fucking idiot he's going to spend the rest of his goddamn life in jail

Preston stared at the paper before crumpling it up and tossing it to the side. He started again.

Find the bastards who employ Lachlan and kill them all

He stared at the words for a moment, looking at his messy handwriting before scribbling out what he wrote and starting again.

Bail. They have to set up bail. If I can get enough money together, I can keep Lachlan from spending his life in prison. Fuck. What the fuck am I supposed to do if he does. I can't stay here. What about Ruby? I can't leave her.

He frowned at his words before crossing them out angrily. "Shit," he muttered before shoving the paper and pen to the side. He rubbed his face hard before standing slowly and starting to pace. Jerome wouldn't be able to keep everyone afloat by himself. What would happen then? He stopped for a moment, then sat back down, picking up the pen and paper again.