Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Preston is woken up by the same voice as yesterday, the same routine that he needed to get out of. He keeps telling himself it will be soon, Mitch said it would be soon – but the walls seem to be getting smaller, and the shit they were giving him was making everything so loud and Preston so aware. Click, click, click. The pills are on his plate, two white capsules staring him dead the face, the man dressed in white is giving him them, trying to pull Preston out of his bed. He wants to wear his own clothes, Preston want to be himself. He wants to go home. This prison, its enclosing him in. Preston needed to be at home, Lachlan and Mitch are waiting, they need him. He needs to get out.

Preston does as he is told, he doesn't want the prick-of-a guard to bust his ass again, but he needs to leave today. Maybe there is a door Preston can quickly squeeze through – maybe an exit he can disguise himself to go through. No way can Preston see that woman today, all she chats is bullshit. Preston loves Ruby. He would do anything for Ruby, she doesn't know shit. They call him his dad, they all do, he can feel them whispering his name. But Preston knows he is not. He is Preston, why can't they see that? There is nothing wrong, he didn't do anything wrong.

Now Preston's got to wait. The hours drag long and he concentrates on getting out of there. Click, tap, click, tap, click, tap, "checkmate!" It all goes on in a blur, but he doesn't care, once Preston is out he won't have to take them anymore. Preston feels sick, the pills they give him make him sick, what are they trying to prove? Preston won't have to wear these ugly clothes and walk around not knowing anyone. Preston can go home. Preston can go home to Mitch and Lachlan – hell, even Jerome. Preston can show them that he is okay, that he doesn't need help, that he did what he did for a good reason.

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock. Preston knows Mitch is coming in today, the woman told him. Preston knows that this could be his chance of getting out of there, this could be his way out. At the moment he can't really see the clock on the wall, its all blurred, Preston's hands are in focus, his white bracelet wrapped around his arm. Preston wants to pull it off, rip it off, shove it in the faces of those in there who feed him bullshit. Breathe, Mitch will be here soon. He will take Preston home.

He would never let him down.

They tell Preston he's here, they bring him through the double white doors. His brother is sitting impatiently in the green chairs, foot tapping so loud it almost hurts. Preston walks forward, slow, he doesn't feel like walking, not until he gets out of there. Mitch brings Preston into a crushing hug, patting his back as he pulls him apart. Preston doesn't move, he just watches. When movements are too fast Preston can almost see nothing and Mitch's face is the only thing in focus. He smiles, like he pities Preston, he doesn't need to have pity. There's nothing wrong with him. A mumble comes out of his mouth and he guess Mitch wants to sit down because he's already sitting by the table. Preston takes a seat, eyes wandering for the opportunity to run.

"How you doing?" Mitch asked, trying to catch his eyes but Preston won't let him. Preston won't let him see what they have done to him. He doesn't answer, he just shrugs, Preston is not entirely sure himself, he just knows he can't be here. That Mitch has to take him home. That he is fine, just one blip doesn't make him crazy, why do they think he is crazy?

He carries on talking anyway, Preston know its what the nurses told him to do. "How's the med's?" He looks at Preston dearly, concern in his eyes just like Lachlan's the day before. Why are they concerned? Why are they looking at him like he is going to break? Preston is fine.

"Can you take me with you? Can you get me out of here?" Preston asks him, desperate for him to say yes because all eyes were on him. Everyones eyes are on Preston – they want him to get better from something he doesn't have. Why Preston? He's never done anything bad, never hurt anyone, never done something that questions his sanity, have you?