Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

"Holy shit I just realized something."

"What's up?"

Preston, Lachlan, and Ruby were all huddled together on the couch watching some shitty documentary about Legos. Everyone else was over at Mitch's, who invited all of them over for Christmas Eve. Preston declined as soon as Jerome asked earlier that day. He was still mad at Mitch for acting the way he did at the party. Lachlan didn't want to leave Preston all alone for the night so he stayed, and wherever Lachlan went, Ruby went as well.

"We've never actually been on a real date."

"Bullshit!" Preston cursed.

"I'm serious, like a date where you go to a nice restaurant, you put on a nice shirt, and you eat with utensils." Lachlan explain.

"You want to do that?"

"Yeah, why not?"

Preston looked down at Ruby in his lap, "Right now?"

"Yes now!"

He instructed Preston to wear something fancy, dressed Ruby in a adorable Christmas outfit, braided her hair, and got himself ready. Lachlan had a plan. He and Preston couldn't go on their first official date with a child. A date is supposed to be between two people, not two people and their daughter. Although Preston would be content with Ruby being there, Lachlan was not and there was no one home to babysit her. He was planning on driving Ruby to Mitch's and in that time he would force Preston inside where he and Mitch will make up. Then he'd take Preston to some fancy restaurant and they will have the best date of their goddamn lives.

Lachlan was sitting at the kitchen table near the back door once Preston came down the steps. In the second Preston took to look to spot him, Lachlan could swear he couldn't breathe. Preston looked so handsome, his brown hair gleaming under the dull kitchen light and his pale skin radiant even from across the room. He looked older to Lachlan, but the maturing was just adding to his good looks.

"Hey," Preston said as he started wrapping his scarf putting on his coat.

"Hi," He replied, trying not to stare at Preston too closely.  "You ready to go?"

"Yup.  You been waiting long?"

"No, just finished braiding Ruby's hair," Lachlan said proudly, placing his large hand on top of her head which she shook off. "Jess braids my hair better."

Lachlan frowned. "I taught Jess how to braid her hair!"

"You did?" Preston smirked. "Daddy has many talents," Ruby informed him.

"Yeah, yeah," Lachlan ushered Ruby and Preston outside.

"So where are we going?" Preston asked once he buckled himself in the passenger seat. 
"It's a surprise."

By the time they reached Mitch's, Preston already knew where exactly they were going and was growing increasingly angry by the minute. Lachlan just smiled as he unbuckled Ruby from her car seat and opened the door for Preston. He glared up at him, "Are you serious?"

Lachlan reached over him and unbuckled his seatbelt. "Deadly. Now don't make this difficult, get out the car."

Ruby looked down at Preston then over to Lachlan, "Is Daddy Preston in trouble?"