Chapter 22

CHAPTER 22

With the bright sun of a new day shinning through my widow , came the sore body I was expecting from all the work yesterday. I groaned as I rolled out of bed almost screaming when I saw Emett sound asleep next to me. My butt hit the floor hard and I cringed quickly trying to rub the pain away. I don’t even remember him coming in last night. I slowly stood up feeling like a giant bruise as I slowly stretched my body. I stood there for a moment staring at Emett before I turned and walked out the room, my stomach was grumbling and I was regretting not eating anything last night. I rummaged through Barbus’s kitchen searching for something quick and easy. I found bread and something that resembled mayo crossing my fingers I slapped it on the bread and had a bite.

I stuck my tongue out when I realized it definitely was not mayo, I heard the soft footsteps of bare feet approaching and smiled. “Good morning Emett.”

He brushed his hair out of his face and I quickly scanned his bare chest before turning back to the cupboards looking for more food.

“Morning” His voice was low and husky with sleep as he stretched.

“What are you looking for?” I heard the slight amusement in Emmett's voice and heard him get closer.

“Food” I didn’t dare look to see how close he was to me. But I didn’t have to wonder for long as his body brushed past me. I looked at him as he reached for a long wooden cupboard in the corner.

I was surprised when he opened it revealing a refrigerator “You have refrigerators here?”.

Emett turned and gave me one of those ‘are you serious?’ looks “Of course we do, with some people having access to your world we are bound to bring back some of the luxuries.”  He turned his attention back to the fridge and rummaged coming out with an arm full of familiar looking foods. Like eggs, some kind of sausage and butter. My mouth instantly began to water and I brought my sleeve up to my mouth to wipe away the drool.

“Get in the second cupboard from the sink and get a tomato and onion.” Emett shot me a smile, and I followed his instructions. I gave him what he needed and took a seat as he fired up the gas stove.

“Its strange..” I started almost talking more to myself then Emett. “This world confuses me, when I am out there it is so clear that I am in another world. My mind tells me how alien of a place it is, yet when I am inside of this house it seems so familiar. I guess I just didn’t expect for your world to have as many of the things we do back home.” I fiddled with a fork in my hand as I waited for his response.

“ I could see how that, it is a shock to the sense. I felt the same way going to your world you don’t have to be so careful and so worried about some strange creature coming out from the darkness to attack you. It took me a while to let my body adjust to it but after a few months, for the first time in my life I felt totale relaxation.” Emett worked on something on the stove that was smelling wonderful, I stood up to look over his shoulder to see what he was making.

I smiled when I saw the omelet sizzling in the pan…he remembered my favorite breakfast food.

“So did your parents know you went to the real world?”  I was jabbering now making conversation, but I could immediately get the sense that he didn’t want to talk about his parents. I could see his jaw tighten and I quickly changed the subject.

“Barbus is going to take me to my parents house today.” I stuttered not knowing what else to say, again I must have said the wrong thing. He spun around to look at me surprise was clear on his face and he took a step towards me. In my attempt to put a little space between us I bumped into the counter, I grumbled when my poor bruised butt hit the counter.