Chapter 21

CHAPTER 21

My eyes where closed tight and I could here the faint yelling of Barbus from the other side of the lake. Everything seemed so loud in that moment, my breathing was shallow as I waited for the blow.  It felt like a lifetime had passed as I waited for impact but instead I just heard the angry hissing of a very mad two headed snake. Why wasn’t he making his move?

I opened my eyes and my jaw dropped. The willow tree had come to life! A root had sprouted from the ground and wrapped itself around the snake acting as a constrictor. The snake was hissing in panic repeatedly biting the root over and over. The root had grown so tight around the snake, parts of it’s body started bulging from the pressure. When I realized it was safe to look around I followed the root to the willow tree and where the tree once was now stood a humanoid creature. Its lower body still a tree planted in the ground yet it started to form the waist of a female figure. Its upper body was human, but the bark was its skin. So strange and beautiful, it’s face still had the look of bark and its eyes a bright green. Thin facial features almost making it elfish in looks, the willow branches had now formed its hair and flowed down its back. It looked so strong and powerful for something so feminine. She was the picture perfect image of what i thought mother earth would look like.

I snapped out of my daze when the wind blew at my face and noticed the snake wasn’t moving anymore but was laying on the ground lifeless with blood pouring from its mouth. This tree creature had killed it. Was it a threat to me? Should  fight it? Something in my body relaxed and I felt no warning of danger from my crystal.

“Go” my crystal softly spoke in my mind.

“Speak to her” It was so quiet and relaxed it almost seemed as if the wind itself was speaking to me. I grabbed my crystal and gently squeezed it in my hand as its protective armor melted of my body and receded to the crystal between my fingers.

I slowly made my way over to the tree , completely forgetting about Barbus’s presence. The wind was rustling through the leaves and branches of this tree. And I noticed the blue bird who was perched on the tree’s shoulder. She just looked at me patiently watching as I slowly made my way to her.

“Thank you” I thought it would be an appropriate opening since she saved me.

She nodded her head and a small smile appeared on the trees lips.

“Kaylyn, I’ve waited a long time for you. I must thank you as well for coming to the rescue my dear friend, it was very brave.” She lovingly stroked the head of the blue bird who, with a blink of an eye was the size of a small child sitting on her shoulder. Its features looked very innocent and sweet short choppy black hair framed her face and bright blue piercing eyes smiled back at me. I noticed that not only was it the size of a child, but it was a child.

“Thank you” The little girl replied with a voice gentle and calm like the lake itself.

I returned the smile and nodded before turning my attention back to the tree.

“How do you know my name?” curiosity filled my veins.

“I was very close with your parents, but more so with your mother. She used to come and sit in my shade as a child, telling me of her adventures, crying of her sorrows and worries, sharing her dreams and happiness. I was the tree nymph who gave your mother that vest and even that bow from one of my very own limbs.” The tree nymphs voice was tranquil and soft like the wind that was flowing around us.

My heart began to ache thinking of my parents and the longing I had to know them more. I felt the sad smile creep onto my face and the tears threatening to pour from my eyes. “It seems that everyone knew my parents.”