Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9

I ripped my hands from his and backed away, my voice cracked as I tried to hold back my sobs.

“You’re engaged!?” He only nodded he didn’t dare look me in the eyes.

“Why did you do this to me?” I glared at him, my heart shattered and I felt empty.

He slowly looked up at me only in time to see the tears stream down my face before I ran off into the dark forest that engulfed the mountains. I heard him call out to me, he begged for me to stop but I ignored him. There was nothing else I wanted to hear from him.

I ran without stopping for a good 30 minutes before I had to stop and catch my breath. It was hard to run and cry your eyes out all at the same time.

I couldn’t understand why he was toying with me, he knew how much this would hurt me yet he kissed me and reminded me of the love I had for him. Only to stab me in the heart with the news that he was engaged! A new wave of sobs overcame my body, I tried to calm myself.

It felt impossible, my head was pounding and my vision blurred. My eyes felt heavy and all I wanted to do was fall into my bed curled next to Fate and cry. I looked back from where I had run dreading the walk back home. How would I face him? Part of me had hopped he had gotten the hint and just left, the other half hopped he would stay and tell me it was all a joke. A horribly cruel joke.

A shiver went up my spine when I realized I wasn’t alone.  I turned to look behind me where I heard the sound of twigs snapping. I whipped the remaining tears from my eyes trying to clear my vision.

There was something moving in the trees ahead.

Against my better judgment I moved towards it. A horrible habit of mine, when I was emotionally hurting I wasn’t afraid of getting physically hurt. It walked away from me whatever it was it was injured.

I saw the blood stained leaves in front of my, suddenly my heart raced. It was a wolf.

It stood in front of me it was hard to see it, it was a dark black I’ve never seen such a black. I felt goose bumps move up my arms.  It stared back at me, with eyes a golden yellow they glowed in the dark forest. I had to help him it was my job, I needed to take him back to the sanctuary and let Ted know there as a possibility of hunters in our area.

I slowly walked to it, it allowed me within a few feet of it before it moved away.

“Damit” I cursed under my breath I had worn myself out running up here I had no more energy but I had to help it.

I followed the trail of blood it left behind he was taking me deep into the mountains, and every so often when I thought I had lost him he made himself visible.

 It was getting dark now; I would have to turn back soon.

I followed him a little longer and I had to rest I looked around me and saw a boulder in the distance it seemed like a good place to take a break. I felt the crunch of dying leaves and twigs under my feet as I walked to the rock. I paused as I came closer.

The boulder laid in a clearing, six trees that looked identical surrounded it in a perfect circle. I felt drawn to it. I walked closer my foot steps were heavy my heart was beating I felt a bit of fear and a bit of excitement. This was strange.

I reached the boulder and ran my hand across the top, it almost seemed to glow. I looked above me the sun wasn’t shining over it.

The wind rustled through the trees bringing the sweet smell of wild flowers with it.