Chapter 16

CHAPTER 16

After half an hour of trying to figure out what to do I looked back at Renee and the ball of light that encased her. “Is she alright ? Is she in pain?”

Fates indigo eyes met mine with sympathy, “Kaylyn I am sure she is ok. Lets just think of a way to get her out of there.”

My frustration was building as I looked back at the limp figure floating in the air, what if she was dying? What if she was dead? I was tired of wasting precious minutes just sitting here talking.

“What is happening to her?’ I looked to Fate who had no answers for me as he shook his head.

 The lack of information and answers was more than I could take.I through my hands up in frustration, it was time for action. I needed to get her out of there, the thought of making it back home and telling my parents…, her parents that I let her die was just a thought I could not bare. I turned to the ball of light I took a deep breath and before anyone could stop me I ran as fast as I could towards her. Maybe just maybe I could pull her out of it. I prayed it could be that simple.

I was approaching the light and couldn’t help but notice the heat that was emanating off of it. It must have been really hot if I could feel the warmth of it through my crystal. It only pushed me to run faster and get her out of there, but before I was able to get any closer something stopped me. A hand wrapped around my wrist pulling me to a quick stop.

“Kaylyn stop!” I turned to look at Emett and met him with a  fierce glare.

“Let me go!” I yelled at him yanking my wrist from his hand.

I was confused by the look on his face. His eyes widened, and he wasn’t looking at me . He was looking behind me. Before I could turn to see what he was looking at I felt his hands push against my shoulders. I lost my balance and fell to the side and watched in horror as a streak of light struck Emett. The hit was so strong it knocked Emett back to the edge of the meadow.

 “Emett!” I ran to him as fast as I could. My arms and legs shaking with fear .

He was down on the ground and I heard him groaning in pain. As I got closer I saw him gripping his shoulder as smoke came off his body the smell of burned flesh in the air. I slid on my knees in front of him as he sat up. I got down next to him and looked at the burn he was trying to hide with his hand.

He pushed me out of the way…he was protecting me.

“Emett are you ok?” The panic in my voice was clear.

 He looked at me with a cocky smile on his face.

“I’m fine its just a little burn.”  I searched his burning eyes to see if he was in pain. I saw nothing but my own reflection of worry in his eyes. As I stared at his wound and the blood that leaked from between his fingers I went numb, and drifted away.

I felt like someone had turned a switch on inside of me and the urge to protect him was over whelming.

I followed Emett’s eyes as they fell on my chest and saw the red glow in his reflecting in them. It was my angel’s tear.

 “Kaylyn control yourself.” I could hear the concern in Fate’s voice as the feeling of protection grew. I was angry that he got hurt protecting me. I was his guardian I was suppose to keep him from getting hurt, not be the cause of it.

I was losing control but my angel’s tear pulled me back.

 ‘Behind you.’

I sensed another serge of energy heading towards us. I quickly got to my feet and turned around to face it head on.