Chapter 1

Nyree

I tapped my fingers against the kitchen table while I watched Trey eat his pizza. Mama still wasn't home yet, even though she said she'd be back by the time I got home from school but it didn't really matter to me. I was glad I was alone with Trey. Trey pulled his phone out of his pocket and put it up to his ear as a smile spread across his face.

"Hey baby," He said wiping his hands with his napkin. I rolled my eyes, knowing he was talking to my Mama so I just looked down at my pizza and continued picking at it. Mama left 30 bucks for pizza but Trey, being cheap like always bought, two pizzas from Little Cesar's and stashed the rest of the money, so it could go towards the wedding fund.

I pulled a pepperoni off of my pizza and looked up at Trey when he said my name. "Oh, Nyree?" He asked turning around to me. "Yeah she's fine. She's just eating her pizza. Ate both of the boxes I bought too," He laughed, shaking his head. I rolled my eyes and looked down at the piece I had and back over to the counter where he had choked down a box and a half. 

He laughed again, sitting back on the counter top next to the half empty box of pizza he had ate. "Yeah I'll tell her to slow down," He looked up from the phone. "Your Mom asked how was school today?" Trey asked me. I shrugged my shoulders. "Just fine." Trey told her my exact words and went back to his conversation with my Mama. 

I rolled my eyes and looked down at my phone, hoping that Mel would call. Usually we would have made up after school but I haven't seen him since lunch. I know he was avoiding me from down-talking his girlfriend but I didn't give a damn. Mel knew I liked him but he liked to play the role, just as much as me and I hate how he rubs his relationship in my face, just like me when I'm in one.

I don't know what it was about me and Mel's friendship. Most of it consisted of sexual competition. He hated me being with other guys, so he avoided me when ever I got one. I'd eventually get tired of being avoided by my best friend so I'd cave, break up with my boyfriend and run back to Mel just so the two of us could clash heads again but he did the exact same for me.

But it wasn't like the two of us didn't sleep together while we were in relationships. I was just something he did on the side and he was just something I did on the side. I'd like to call our relationship two-best-fuck-buddy-friends. Nothing serious, it was only sex. Amazing sex. I used to think it was some amazing sex until I met Trey who'd be able to put it down much better than Mel ever would.

Now, I ain't doggin' my best friend but his stroke game wasn't as good as Trey's since he was so experienced with everything. Before I met Trey I used to think Mel was extremely good at sex since he was the nigga to pop my cherry and teach me everything I know now but Trey had a certain je ne sais quoi about him that I couldn't describe.

I looked back up at Trey as those three words slipped out of his mouth that I hated. "I love you babe." He smiled. "Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. I know," He replied. He looked down at the piece of pizza in his hands before looking up at me. He laughed and quickly looked away from me. "Baby girl your daughter is standing right here. I bet she can hear you." I sucked my teeth, knowing they were talking sex but that's when the doorbell rang interrupting them.

Trey looked up at me and motioned for me to get the door. "I don't know who's at the door though," I said loud enough for Mama to hear through the other line. Trey sucked his teeth and held up a finger before turning away from me. "Yeah. Just be safe...love you too babe." He pulled the phone away from his ear and turned to me. "You're something else little girl," He said pushing past me as he walked out of the kitchen.

I grinned, knowing that was the second time today somebody's said that to me. Trey pulled the door open and Mel stood on the porch with his hands in his pockets. "I didn't think somebody would ever answer the door," He said rubbing his hands together as he walked into the house. He patted Trey's shoulder as he passed by him. "What's up Trey?" "What's up?" Trey mumbled walking back into the kitchen to finish off his pizza.