Chapter 3

It is a surprisingly lovely day today for the middle of February, a far cry away from the typical rain that we experience in England.

Myself and Jane are in the garden, lying on top of a towel on the grass to sunbathe. Dad, who is also outside, potters in and out of the shed tidying up and gardening. He finds carrying out these tasks to be relaxing and peaceful. Meanwhile, mum has taken Kitty and Lydia out to the shops.

"Pity Mary wouldn't come outside on a day like this," I say, shielding my eyes with my arm. "I know," sighs Jane. "I don't know how she can cope with staying indoors all the time."

We remain mostly in silence, enjoying the calm atmosphere before our mother and sisters arrive home. The sound of seagulls and smell of fresh flowers fill my senses before I find myself dozing off under the hot sun.

~

"What a charming young man, very friendly and equally as good looking!" I am woken up to the sound of mum's voice through the open kitchen window. Who needs an alarm clock when you can have my mother's shrill voice? The sun is now hiding behind the clouds, although the high humidity remains. Jane has already went indoors.

Letting out a yawn and stretching, I pick up the towel and go inside, intrigued to find out information no doubt about the new guy himself.

Everyone is present when I walk in, mum most noticeably sitting down at the dining table, her cheeks red from excitement. Behind her Kitty and Lydia are dancing about the room and making squealing noises that can only relate to wild animals. For 15 year olds, they have the immaturity of people a lot younger.

"What have I missed that is clearly so important?" I ask.

Mum clears her throats and willingly begins her spiel. "On our way back we decided to drive past the sold house, which we now know belongs to the Bingley family. We noticed someone in the driveway, so we stopped the car and spoke to them. It was the very guy you were all interested in!"

She lets out a hearty laugh and I look over at Jane, who returns my smirk. Mum continues, "His name is Charles, very fancy, and he shook our hands. I suggested that he should meet you all and he said that he's meeting some friends at the pub around the corner, and you're all welcome to drop by."

"On Friday night!" Lydia reveals.

"I love the way we get a choice in the matter, Jane!" I say. I would prefer to meet him just by chance, rather than an arranged meeting. It was all so dramatic and unnecessary.

"Mum, I think you should stay away from the matchmaking."

"Oh stop it Elizabeth, does it hurt that I want the best for my girls? And just think, if all goes according to plan and he develops a liking for one of you, we could be spending a lot more time in the Bingley household!"

"I hope so!" cry Kitty and Lydia, jumping up and down.

"And I wonder what brands of furniture-" mum continues before she is cut off.

"Enough please" says dad, "You are all giving me a headache. I don't think Mr Bingley will fall for the silliest girls in England" he says, gesturing towards my younger sisters.

Jane and I laugh with him to which Lydia responds, "Oh shush dad!"

"Eliza, can I borrow your black shoes for when we're going out?" asks Kitty, changing the subject.

"Kitty, we both know that no matter what answer I give, you'll borrow them anyway." She takes that as a yes and hugs me.

"They would suit me better," points out Lydia. "Oh no, world war three is about to start" I groan. I take that as a cue to leave the kitchen, leaving behind me the sounds of bickering.

Even though my family can be annoying, I wouldn't have them any other way.