Chapter 4

I stand in front of the full length mirror in my bedroom and study my reflection, as I try to put together an outfit. It is Friday, the night we are due to meet up with Charles and I can't find anything appropriate to wear from my sparse clothes.

"Too fancy", I say, pulling off a white blouse with a lace collar.

"Too going out for lunch with  grandparents style," I moan, tossing another top back onto the floor.

"Come on Eliza, we're going to be late." Jane is seated on her bottom bunk, wearing black skinny jeans and fitted blue top with gold jewellery and black ankle boots, looking gorgeous as always.

"I need to get a job so I can afford to spend some money on decent clothes," I claim.

"Here," Jane says, walking over to our wardrobe. "How about this," she offers, pulling out her purple flowery peplum top.

"Yes, thank goodness!" I laugh, as she hands it to me. "Wear it with your blue skinny jeans," she says, "And you'll look gorgeous."

"Jane, your my saviour."

"As always," she smiles.

It is seven o'clock, and my sisters and I are walking the short distance from our house to the pub. Lydia and Kitty seem to be having a competition to see who can dress the tackiest, while Mary looks out of place with the whole situation, wearing her plain, usual attire. I for once, thanks to Jane, feel comfortable in my outfit and am grateful that I am having a good hair day. My long brown hair forms a slight wave around my shoulders and flatters my light olive skin tone.

As we arrive at the pub, Jane leads the way through the heavy front door. Inside we find seats in the corner of the noisy and crowded room. I scan over the people, before fixing my eyes on a boy and a girl sitting together, presumably in their early twenties. Their clothing and mannerisms make them stand out from everyone else. That's when I know that it must be them.

I nudge Jane and point over to him. Just as I'm about to open my mouth, his eyes meet mine, causing me to drop my arm in embarrassment. He studies us all for a second, before saying something to the girl beside him and walks over to us.

"You must be the Bennetts," he says. "I'm Charles. I have met you two, but not you Eliza, Jane and Mary, am I correct?"

We are all taken aback by his air of friendliness and chatiness. He is adorably handsome, tall with a muscular build and blonde hair. He sits down in the seat beside Jane and signals for the girl he was with to come over.

"I'd like you to meet my sister, Caroline." We all look up as she walks over and sits next to him, impeccably dressed in no doubt designer clothes. She looks us all up and down, with a disapproved look on her face. "Nice to meet you," we say. She offers a fake smile and turns her attention to her phone instead.

Charles looks embarrassed and tries to draw attention away from her by changing the subject. I am very impressed with him so far due to his likeable character, thankfully he is the opposite of his snobby sister.

I excuse myself at some point to go to the bathroom, and when I return I notice that Charles is in deep conversation with Jane. He looks to be very taken by her, which is not surprising as my sister is stunningly beautiful and has a personality to match. They would make a perfect couple, I think to myself.

I sign in contentment and bring my glass to my lips to take a refreshing drink. Ahead of me the front door opens and closes continually, welcoming and dismissing people.

That's when I see him.

A young man around the same age as Charles had entered. It was obvious he was wealthy due to his appearance. He looked over six foot and was muscular and darkly handsome, the most good looking guy I'd ever seen. He had an air of mystery about him which I loved and his only unappealing feature was his frown.

I couldn't take my eyes from him. "Who's that, do you know him?" I ask Charles, never breaking my gaze.

Charles turns around and realisation reaches his features as he says, "There's Will! That's William Darcy, Eliza, my best friend." Charles stood up and waved him over, to which he noticed and began walking over to our table.

And then his eyes lock mine.

A/N: So glad that Darcy has finally arrived!😉😍 Your welcome!