Chapter 38

*Eliza POV*

A few days after the dramatic events that took place, our house has almost returned to a certain level of normality.

Mum returned from hospital the next morning following her admission, after doctors told her that she suffered from a nervous breakdown. She will begin counselling sessions next week, which will allow her to further come to terms with the past and current circumstances involving Lydia. She had scheduled to take a week off work to recover and has been in a quiet and somber state ever since, refusing to speak to Lydia.

"I wish she would even acknowledge me," Lydia confides to me and Jane in the present afternoon.

"Don't worry," I say, sighing at the situation. "She will come around, it's just a lot for her to digest at the moment."

I never spoke of my fierce interaction with Wickham that took place, as it would be too painful for Lydia and myself to recall. I try to put aside how fragile I feel about that and the negative thoughts about William by keeping myself occupied with assisting to mum and Lydia's needs. This has involved continuing to take on the main bulk of the housework duties and booking a doctors appointment for Lydia, as well as buying stuff that she may need. Jane would assist me with this, however she is busy with work as usual.

Ever since Lydia has returned, we all noticed a dramatic change in her attitude. Although her character initially seemed dampened due to trauma and shock, she has now transformed into a sensible and reflective girl. Despite how this was achieved, I'm pleased for her sake and the family as it allows us to form closer bonds due to not clashing with her. As for Kitty, she too has undergone a similar transformation due to her worry over the situation and from seeing the way in which Lydia now behaves. It has been an eye opener for everyone.

Suddenly the telephone rings, removing me from my thoughts as I get up to answer it.

"Eliza," my granny speaks. "Your grandad and I have come up with a solution to help your mum and dad with Lydia. Is Margaret there?"

"Yes, she's here, I'll let you speak to her," I reply, feeling anticipation about what she has to offer.

Mum takes the telephone from me and sits up straight from her relaxed position on the sofa, listening intently to her mother.

"Oh, that would be wonderful!" She states, a familiar smile returning to her face for the first time in a while. "I will let her know."

She ends the call and turns to us, mainly directing her attention towards Lydia to our surprise.

"You are going to live with your granny and grandad. This will give you the privacy and space you need for before and when the baby comes along. My first grandchild," she sniffs, making my eyes well up.

"Also, they have very kindly agreed to pay for your living costs and any money that you may need, which I'm sure you will pay back to them in time. They are our saviours as there is no way that we could have managed." This is brilliant news I think, Lydia will get a fresh start and have a chance to heal within the remote English countryside, beside the Peak District. However, it feels melancholy as I will be losing my sister in a way, as she embarks on this new stage in her life away from home.

"That's great news," she beams, to which dad remarks, "They're very generous."

*2 weeks later*

"There we go now my dear, your all set," mum says to Lydia, dabbing her eyes as she looks her up and down.

"Oh, come here," she cries as they both hug. The girls and I begin to cry and dad uncomfortably clears his throat as Lydia prepares to move out for good. Given the tough circumstances that we have gone though together and the fact that she is only 15 and the baby of the family, it is very emotional. The last few days we cherished the time with her as much as possible, and I will miss her very much. I would even take annoying and intolerable Lydia over no Lydia.

"Now," mum says, removing from their embrace. "You can come home whenever you like, if you ever need anything - not that granny or grandad can't help you but sometimes you need your mum. Or dad or sisters. The top bunk in your bedroom is always yours," She cries again.

"I know, thank you, I love you and will miss you all so much. I will be back to visit often don't worry."

We each take turns in hugging her one last time, before accompany her to grandad's car and waving until they are out of sight.

"Oh my," mum begins to cry harder, "She's really gone."

"Don't cry mum," I say, putting my arms around her. "It's for her own good and at least she is safe. We will all get through it, together."

"One of the hardest things as a parent is parting with your children. Your right though, we shall."

Lydia's outcome has brought her and mum back together again, and although they would have done so in their own time; it is ironic that it is due to them being taken apart. It is a hard reality to accept, however it will only allow her to flourish, for herself and her baby's sake. She will be just fine.

A/N: This is a nice outcome for the Bennett's but an emotional chapter😭 Hope you all enjoyed, and thank you for 31k!!!💖