War Torn Ch.3

A Year later~

Me and Nate sat on our living couch lazily watching Tom and Jerry while our mother was down stairs doing some laundry. I blink and then doze off, looking out our patio door and sigh deeply, thinking about our daddy who has been over seas for almost a year. He has come back a few tims to say hi and spend time with us, but i haven't seen him in over 3 months, and me and Nate miss him dearly. I have my head rested on my hand which is also resting on the arm of the couch and think about him and if he's alright, but snap out of it when I hear a firm knock on the door. Me and Nate perk up and look towards the door and bolt towards it. We run up to it and eagerly open the door with big smiles, but they quickly disappear as we see who's at the door: A well-built Marine official. I can feel my heart sink and get slightly intimadated at him, as well as Nate." Oh, hello kids. Is your mother home?" I blink and nod slowly, then look at Nate who scurries down stairs to get her. I look back up at the large guy and remain quiet for a moment, but muster up enough courage to ask him something."Who are you..? And why are you here, sir?" I see him look down at me and breathe out a heavy sigh as he takes his hat off."Mind if I come in?" I blink and nod, moving out of his way so he could come in. He nods and walks into the house as our mother comes up with my brother. She looks up and her firm face softens as she sees the marine standing next to me. I look up at the marine and back at our mother, who is shaking her head and getting teary eyed. I feel my gut turn in a knot and my heart beat fast. I take a deep breathe and look up at the marine with a questioning look, along with my brother who walks up next to me. He looks down at us and sighs as he crouches down to our level, putting his hand on me and Nate's shoulder." I'm here because I have some unfortunte news for your family.." I look at Nate and back at the marine and feel my heart sink more. Oh no..please oh please don't let it be what i think it is.. I blink and look at him." What's the news..?" He looks at us and hesitates for a moment before proceding with the terrible words I did not want to hear..at all."Your father..he's..He's not coming back...." I stand their stone still, totally stunned at this news. I hear our mother sob and my brother sniffle and cry. I stand and try to soak up what I just heard, wide eyed and stiff, and not believing what this man has said.It finally hits me when he reaches for something in his pocket: Our father's dog tags. I look at the dogtags and feel my eyes well up, and then feel the tears stream down my face and sniffle. I grab my father's dogtags from the marine and clentch onto them tightly, head dipped and crying. Our mother stomps off to her room and crys her eyes out, which doesnt make much sense since her and dad were practically trying to kill each other long before. The marine, who is still in a crouched position, looks at me and Nate with sorrow and sympathy in his eyes."I'm sorry for your loss...My cadolances go to your family..Sorry to bring you such news." I sniff and rub my eyes and nod, still crying. The marine looks down and then stands up, heading towards the door. I follow him quietly and open the front door for him as he puts his hat back on."I'm sorry you kids have to experience this...I hope you recover from this loss. The funeral will be on November 11th, 3 days from today" I nod and give a quivering sigh."It's ok sir...we'll be fine. Thanks.." He nods and wishes us a good day before walking out the door and going into a car and driving away. I look at the my father's dogtags and feel my eyes water before I start to cry again. Nate walks up to me and hugs me as we cry into each other's shoulders. The rest of the evening was quiet and later found out that our mother had pretended to sad act most of the time when she was talking to a friend over the phond. She also verbally abused us that night when we refused to finish our dinner and made us go to bed with nothing else to eat that night..I was fine with that. Me and Nate trudged into our rooms and got ready for bed, which took only ten minutes max. I crawled into my bed and look at the dogtag I had on my desk next to my bed. The other one was with Nate and I could feel my eyes get round and watery. I tried to hold back the tears but they slipped down my cheeks and dripped onto my blanket. I let out another quivering sigh and clench the tag slowly, and kiss it.." Good night daddy...I love you.." I then sob for a few minutes, with the dig tag still in my hand and then wipe the tears off my face after I'm done crying. I lay the chain carefully and reluctantly on my desk again and lean foward and turn the lamp shade off before i snuggle down into my blankets. I lay there, still crying and unable to sleep, but a while later, I cry myself to sleep, unable to cry my heart's content any longer for that day.