War Torn Ch.2

An Hour Later...

I lift my heavy eye lids and look up and around my room. I can feel the dried up tear stains on my face and look up at my window. I sigh and then notice once more its quiet, but can hear activity downstairs. I sigh in relief that the fighting is done with...for now. I sit in the corner, still huddled in a ball and stare at the floor for a few minutes before I hear footsteps come towards my door. I look up as I see my dad open my door slowly and poke his head in."Hey honey..You ok?" I sigh slightly and look away alittle with my head on my knees."Ya..I guess, daddy." I hear him sigh before coming over to me and sitting down next to me."I'm sorry that happened to you sweetie..and I'm sorry I wasn't there in time to prevent her from hitting you." I heard him say as he wrapped his arm around me. I look up at him and blink, but then lay my head back down on my knees. I flinch as I feel a sharp pulse of pain run through me. I see my dad turn his head and look at me."What's wrong?" I look at him and shrug."I don't know, it just hurts." I see him come closer and look at me."Where does it hurt?" I look and point at my leg and watch him roll my pant leg carefully before seeing a large shard of glass in my leg. I see him stop rolling my pant leg as I get startled and look away and at my dad. He looks down at me and back at the shard in my leg with a annoyed look on his face."Alright sweetie, this will hurt alittle.." I nod and clench/cling onto his arm tightly."Ok..I'm ready daddy.." I grip his shirt and yelp out in pain as he pulls the shard out. I loosen my grip and have my face kinda burried in his arm. I can feel him wrap his arm around me and also feel him wrap my cut up with a big bandage wrap. I cling onto his shirt still and feel him rub his hand gingerly along my arms and legs for anymore cuts. I flinch and yelp after a few minutes of having all the little shards being pulled out of my skin. I look up at my father who looks down at me afterwards and gives me a soft grin."It'll get better, Dakota. I promise." I smile alittle at him and hug him tightly."Promise?" He nods and smiles."I promise, and even if it doesn't seem so, it will in time." I smile but then frown and look down after rembering something. "What's is it, Kota?" I can feel tears in my eyes and I look up at him."Your going into the military next month...what if..what if you..die..?" I feel him tense up slightly while he has a serious look on his face. But after a minute, I suddenly see him smile down at me and feel him relax."If I do die, I'll be looking down and watching over you and your brother, and be your guys' Gaurdian Angel. And remember, if life seems to be too much and if all hope seems lost, remember I'll be watching over you two." I look at my father in dismay, and not sure what to say. I can feel my eyes water and slide down my cheeks. I hear a sniffle and look up to see my older brother, Nate, standing in my doorway. I look back up at my father and we hug him tightly, sobbing and clinging onto his blue plaid shirt."We love you, dad!" I hear my brother say over his sobs. I feel our dad hug us back tightly, and hear him sniffle."I love to..I'm sorry for all of this. I wish your mother wans'nt so abusive to you guys...." I nod while sniffling and wiping the tears from my eyes."It's fine dad..We can take it..and her." I hear him chuckle slightly and seperate from our hug before he pats Nate's head." That's my boy. How about you guys stay in your rooms and I'll get you two something quick to eat?" We nod."Alright, be right back." We watch as he stands and heads out the door and hear him go down the stairs to the kitchen and cook. Me and Nate huddle on a beanie and watch TV while our father cooked. The rest of the night was calm and good for the most part. Daddy worked out in the basement while our mjm read in the living room. It was quiet that whole night, which Nate and I were happy and thankful for, for this was sometimes a rarity. As I layed my head down on my pillow, I thought what my daddy told me today and what would happen if he did die in the military. I thought long and hard for a while, but I quickly grew tired and closed my eyes, falling into a good, deep slumber.