Chapter 2

Isolated.
That was the first word that worked it's way through Kara's mind as she stepped into the spacious, modern office. It was beautiful and pristine, but something about it felt staged, as if no one even used it for actual work. She saw no loose paper or anything remotely warm and inviting; just more stainless steel and sharp, geometric design. Kara wondered briefly if anyone, even a Luthor, could find this space suitable for working, but she was quickly drawn from her thoughts as she heard the large door opening behind them. Kara felt Clark tense up beside her, and she was sure her body language mirrored his as they turn to face the new presence in the room.
Shocked.
That was the next word that worked its way through Kara's mind. Shocked that the woman who stood before them was radiating an air of extreme confidence, her shoulders in straight, stiff alignment, and her chin held high. Shocked that she seemed so professional, so put together; something Kara did not associate with the antics of the Luthor family. She had on black heels, and a grey pant suit; her dark, mahogany hair pinned back from her face, and bright red lipstick gracing a tired frown. Kara can't help but gawk in shock at the powerful woman that stood before them, but most of all, she was shocked by the electricity of the woman's sharp green eyes, which remained cold and reserved, but incredibly striking. Kara looked down at her feet, collecting her thoughts, and allowing Kal to take over the conversation.

"Ms. Luthor, thank you for meeting us on such short notice."

Lena Luthor made her way around them, like a shark circling its prey, until she sat at her desk, and smiled a steely smile to match her reserved eyes.

"Of course Mr. Kent and...."

Kara's head snapped up, realizing that the intimidating CEO was speaking directly to her.

"Um oh, I'm um Kara Danvers."

Lena nodded curtly, a lively smirk gracing her lips, the first that Kara had seen. The whole interview went by in a blur, and Kara watched Clark with utter adoration the entire time, letting her mind wander back to the days when he was just a baby on Krypton. Clark never ceased to amaze Kara, and she let herself be overwhelmed with a comforting nostalgia;
which was cut off suddenly at the confident tone of Lena's voice:

"I never wanted to be part of my family's evil reign, Lex has only wanted bad. When I took over Luthor Corporations, I wanted to rename it 'L Corp,' not because I wanted to continue the Luthor legacy, but rather to create a voice for good. I want a chance to create my own story without the horrors Lex created to follow me."

Kara was shaken by her strong, almost caustic review of her family and the company she controlled.

"I'm here for a fresh start Mr. Kent, at least give me that much. And Ms. Danvers, while I understand the reporters at CatCo aren't known for the heartfelt reporting and honest journalism, I hope you can see things from my side of the story."

"Oh I'm not a reporter..." Kara mumbled out, flushing in embarrassment.

"Could have fooled me...well I do hope I will see more of you,"

Lena spoke with the smallest twinkle in her usually cold eyes. The spark shocked Kara, and she flushed an even deeper shade of red. Clark cleared his throat, attempting to cut the tension in the room, which felt equally foreign and uncomfortable. Kara nodded at Lena Luthor, as Clark thanked her for the meeting, and she follows him out, glancing once back at Lena as Clark opened the large stainless steel door. The last thing Kara saw as she exited the cold building was the unfamiliar and warming smile of Lena Luthor.