Chapter 1

Jacey

Growing up on what people call the strangest part of town is not so bad. But, not knowing why it was strange was confusing. Everyone seemed normal the people of the neighborhood were all friendly. There were no records of criminals in this area, everyone knew everybody, and last but not least the neighborhood is well taken care of.

   I moved to this town when I was eight years old. Mom found a job here in Maryland and we've been here ever since. She also wanted to get away from my dad, he was a violent man. He stole from us and sold our things to support his drug habits. I choose to surpress the past an think about the future.

    "Jacey are you ready for school?" My mom said from the other side of the door.

"No, I'll  be ready in thirty minutes mom." I responded. It takes me fifteen minutes to shower, ten minutes to get dressed, and five minutes to do my hair. Some of you are probably stunned with my five minutes of hair time but hey I'm not fancy I just put it in a pony tail.

  My school is east of my home so I have to leave earlier than most teens in my neighborhood. However, all my friends are there so it didn't bother me too much.

     It was almost summer with only one more month to go and was going to be fun in the sun because Mom says we are going to Hawaii as soon as school let's out.

****

     Amber, one of my befriends and I always meet up in the cafeteria to wait for Alex and Tiffany. They always arrived fashionably late, but God knows I love the goof balls dearly. We have all been friends since elementary school.

   "OMG! Jacey I love that top you have on. Where in the world did you get it!?" Tiffany yelled from the entrance of the cafeteria.

"Woah fashion cop calm down." I said with a giggle to my tone.

"I got it from Trenidies Fashion, Its a new store at the mall." I said quickly after.

"We have to check it out next week!" She said with her high pitched squeal.

      We talked for a little while longer and after we headed to our first block classes. I have bio-medical, Amber has Geometry, Tiffany has Spanish, and Alex has gym. She is lucky because she gets to play for an entire hour and a half. I arrived to class five minutes late but its alright. I didn't miss too much.

"Ms.Murphy I see you came to class at your own time." Mr.Relez said with a frown on his face. In my opinion that look does not suit him.     

We started class with the basics; parts of the human body, with a few definitions.

    The day pretty much flew by after that. Tomorrow is picture day "horray" I said to myself sarcastically. If I trash the paper now karma will most likely hit and my mom will probably find out later on the schools website. So I decided to to keep the paper.

    As I was walking to the bus stop, I read over the picture slip. It stated;  'All juniors and seniors are required to take pictures, No Excuses.' It was strange that it was mandatory to take photos this year because we had a choice sophomore and freshman year.

      When the bus stopped in front of me I hurried and got on. It takes an hour and forty five minutes to get to my house. So I have to take two buses and a train to get home. I know it may seem like a lot but its entertaining I get to see everything from downtown to uptown. I even get to see that new ice cream shop that opened. I'm definitely going to check that place out.

      I got home around 6:30 and mom was still at work so I quickly did my homework and ordered take out. When I finished, I took a shower and watched Tv until she got home.

    "How was your day hun?" Mom asked from inside the kitchen.

"It was good. Tomorrow is picture day, how was your day?" I responded not taking my eyes off the television screen.

She took a while to respond but after a few moments she did.

"Oh that's great honey, but how about you skip school tomorrow and come with me to that new ice cream shop that just opened?" She asked a bit nervous.

"As great as that sounds mom, I have to turn the ice cream down. I'm trying to keep my perfect attendance, and I have a presentation tomorrow" I replied back.

A look of disappointment crossed my mothers features.

"How about we go Saturday?" I suggested.

"Okay honey, but if you change your mind let me know." She rushed out as if I were going to change my mind on the spot.

"Will do mom. Are you okay?" I asked taking her hand in mine.

"Yes I'm fine." She lied. I could tell her smile was forced but I let it go. For now.

"Want to help me pick something out?" I asked changing the subject.

  Again her smile was forced but she agreed. What is up with mom today?