Chapter 17

Jacey

After Pasta and I returned home last night I gave him a bath, we ate dinner and then we went to bed. We both were exhausted from the fun day we had. I woke up in a better mood to go to work today which helped me get through my shift. I was currently picking Pasta up from daycare. Every time I picked him up he acted as if he hadn't seen me in forever. I guess in dog years an 8 hour shift felt like an eternity.

"Hi baby!" I squealed finding it hard to put his leash on from all wiggling his body was doing. An employee named Hannah stood behind the front counter laughing as she signed us out.

"Ill see you both tomorrow." She said smiling.

"See you tomorrow Hannah!" I replied happily.

When I first started bringing Pasta to daycare I was so nervous leaving him with strangers. I didn't trust anyone and I still don't considering my circumstance. But she eased my nerves by giving me a tour of the facility and helped me download an app that allowed me to see live footage of what Pasta was up too. He was so sassy when he was around his dog friends at daycare. I would sneak to see what he was up to while I was at work every chance I got. Apparently he was a ring leader in his size group because the other dogs would follow him like he gave orders. His daycare life was so funny to me.

We were currently walking down the street headed to the market because we need groceries. Pasta ran out of his favorite food and my fridge was completely empty. So we were going to grab a few items and head home. On my way to the market however, something felt off. Like I was being watched or something. Was I being paranoid? I probably was. I kept walking trying not to think too much about it. But the hairs on my neck started to stand. I sensed danger and Pasta must have felt my energy shift because he stopped to turn and look at me.

I looked around frantically scanning the area but nothing seemed to be wrong. I started walking again cautiously still turning my head every which way. I probably looked like I was going insane with the amount of times my head turned but I didn't care.

We made it to the market and I was currently putting fruits and veggies in my cart. I needed toilet paper, and body soap as well. After retrieving all the items I headed to self checkout. I took items out of my cart one by one and scanning them and then placing them in paper bags.

When I got to my last item a males voice spoke.

"Cute puppy." The man said. I looked up from pressing my card pin on the keypad to thank him.

"Thank yo-... Omg Emerick! How are you?" I asked excitedly. I haven't seen him since the day he dropped me off at the first motel I stayed at here.

His smile held a hint of danger. It didn't seem as genuine as it did when I first met him.

"I'm great. How about yourself?" He asked walking over to me helping me put the groceries back in my cart.

"Same! I've just been working and taking care of Pasta." I replied pointing at the puppy sitting in the buggy.

"Well it looks like he is well taking care of seeing that he's put on some weight since the first time I saw him." He joked.

This made me laugh a little because Pasta had gained a little weight. I made sure his diet was balance, when I found him he was so thin. I took pride in the way I took cared of him. We didn't have the most glamorous life but it was our life and I valued that more than anything despite yet again my current circumstances.

Once all the bags were in the cart I thanked Emerick for his help.

"Do you need a ride? That seems like it would be a lot to carry with a dog on your arm." He suggested with a smile from ear to ear.