Chapter 14

I had arrived in Los Angeles, California as planned and the heat reminded me of Phoenix, Arizona. The warm breeze kissed my skin making me miss Phoenix just a little bit. I soon grew excited, because Cali is known for its beaches and shopping boutiques or at least that's what the movies made it out to be. I picked up pasta as if he were a baby, he still seemed to be a little tired from our long bus ride. "A motel is what we need to find" I whispered kissing his little head as he yawned. I walked a long the streets enjoying the various sights Los Angeles had to offer, I was in love. Everyone looked nice, as if they had just stepped of set of a movie that would soon break the box office. I felt like a bum compared to them and I immediately felt self conscious about myself. I now was more eager than before to look for a motel.

I decided to google some motels around the area, but realized that my phone had died on the way here because of all the music I had listened to, so the best thing for me to do was to ask around. The first place I walked into was a fancy boutique called Le Jolie filled with women whom looked stuck up and high class. I thought about turning around and looking for another place to ask but I decided not to. Walking up to the lady fixing clothing on the fancy shelves I felt nervous and hesitant to speak so I had to force myself.

"Excuse me ma'am can I ask you a quick question?'

She turned around slowly making sure the designer clothes she had made neat was perfect.

"AHHHHHHHH! GET THAT RAT OUT OF HERE!" she yelled scaring both me and Pasta. I was not expecting that, I was at a lost for words. Shocked I just stood there frozen.

"Bu-but I just need to ask a quick question." The two customers in the shop glanced at me with dirty looks as if I was going to rob the place. A lady soon emerged from what seemed to be a back room and made her way over to the area.

"What is going on here?" She stated, well more like demanded. Yet again I stood there speechless.

"I was just trying to ask a quick question and she started screaming." I spoke slowly.

The lady who demanded to know what was going on looked between the two of us and then parted her lips to speak.

"Is this true Maura?" She asked calmly.

She was silent for a moment glaring at me and then decided to speak.

"Yes ma'am, but for a good reason. She brought her filthy mutt in here."

The woman didn't seem impressed by Maura's word choice in fact she look disappointed.

"What have I told you about being rude to customer's? There are no excuses for acting such away even if they don't look like they should be in here."

She responded. The last part of her statement hurt my feelings, and at that point I was getting annoyed all I came in here for was for simple direction to a motel.

"Go see if that nice woman over there needs help." she demanded.

Maura took no time at all in rushing over to the lady looking at a designer bag. I looked toward the woman who came to my rescue and was kind of thankful. She looked at me up and down and told me to follow her. Following her she led us back to the threshold she came through earlier. Walking in and looking around I found myself in a very spacious office. It was rather cozy looking. White fluffy carpet lied on the floor so crisp and clean, and nice gray sued furniture lined the middle of the floor. The room was a smoky gray color and it reminded me of a movie theater. I was in a complete trance, however I soon snapped out of it when I heard the clearing of a throat. I looked in the direction of the noise.