Chapter 5

Jacey

Three weeks had passed since moms big freak out, but she seemed to have calmed down. However, She was still very much on edge. Her entire demeanor had changed and she stalked the calendar every day. Mom has never been spooked this bad by anything before. Not even when dad use to hit her. She had been missing days of work and made me stay home from school a couple of times as well. I wanted to question her but something told me to just let her do what she was had been doing.

Today mom actually decided to go to work, but she made me stay home from school. I didn't mind it seeing that school was over in less than a week and graduation would follow after that. We already took finals so honestly I was just relaxing until It was time to prance onto a stage to grab a piece of paper that I worked towards for four years of my life.

Thinking about graduation made me think about what I wanted to do with my life in the future. Did I even want to college and if I did what would I major in? I really didn't put much thought into what I wanted to become when I got older. But my guidance counselor, Ms.Clemens bugged me every day about looking into becoming a chef all because I wont the schools cooking competition during the beginning of the year.

I put all the thoughts of my future to the back of my mind. Because if mom was right about this vampire bull crap then thinking about a college I would be attending in the fall would be pointless.

I decided to get some fresh air. I had been in the house all day and it was beginning to get stuffy in here. I went out to the back yard and sat on the porch swing. I took this time to admire moms gardening work. It was beautiful how the sun shined upon the roses and tulips. It made their colors pop even more than they already did. Laying down on the swing I soaked in all the suns rays and closed my eyes. I was about to doze off when a whisper in my ear made my heart sink to my feet.

"Tick, tock." It said. I heard it as clear as day. I jumped from the porch swing and ran inside. I knew I couldn't have been dreaming because I hadn't dozed off completely.

"Did mom transfer her insanity on to me?" I asked out loud.

I instantly felt bad that I said that. I knew she wasn't crazy, but I know what had her scared was just myths. I not one to lie so I will admit that, that voice scared the hell our of me. My heart still felt like it was in my toes and not my chest when I swallowed It felt like there was a lump in my throat.

Before heading upstairs I made sure all the doors and windows were locked. I wasn't taking any chances. When I got upstairs I slammed my door shut locking it. I jumped into my bed and threw my covers over my face. I tried calming myself down, but I felt like a leaf in the wind, shivering in fear.

****

Mom came home hours later, looking exhausted. So, I told her that we could skip dinner and that I wanted her to go straight to bed. I watched her tired form walk into her dark room and she shut the door softly behind her. I couldn't sleep so I turned on Netflix and decided to watch Tom and Jerry. Old cartoons always helped me go to sleep and just as predicted I felt myself drifting in and out of it. I grabbed my remote off the night stand and shut off the tv.

I rested my head on the cool pillow and I placed my stuffed animal; Mr. Peanuts right next to me. I shut my eyes and to sleep I went.

In the middle of the night I felt a slight draft blowing across my face which caused me to wake up. When I opened my eyes I saw that my window was open. That's weird because I didn't open it. Did mom? She couldn't have. She went to sleep before I did. I got up quickly to shut it But before I did a piece of paper with a rose next to it caught my eye. My heart sank yet again. Where the hell did this come from? I unfolded the paper and what the note said chilled me to the bone.

In black ink written in cursive were the words; 'See you soon my love'