Twenty Three

TWENTY-THREE 

I was shaken up from my nap when I heard my phone ringing loudly against the silence of the room. I was momentarily confused on where I was before remembering that I fell asleep on the couch after getting home from the office... 

I lost my internship.

My heart had hurt at the thought. I checked the time on my phone, and it was well after one in the afternoon. I looked at the bag I dropped on the floor after coming in. It wasn't a dream after all. 

I scrambled for the phone in my bag and answered it on the last ring before going to voice mail.

"Hello?" I asked breathlessly, coming back down and sitting on the couch. 

"Bethany." A sound of relief escaped Caleb's voice. "Thank God you're all right."

I pursed my lips. "Of course I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

"I've been calling your phone repeatedly for the past half an hour. I was worried you did something reckless."

I smiled to myself. "Do you really think I'm the type to do that?"

He paused on the other end. "Well, after today, you never know." He indirectly referred to my loss of internship.

I sighed. "Well I'm okay. Shouldn't you be getting back to work? It's past your lunch break, mister."

"I'm right outside your building."

My eyes widened in shock. "What? What are you doing here?" I stretched my neck to look out the window on the far side of the room but remembered all the windows looked out to the back of the building.

"I want to see you. Tell me your loft number. I'll be there."

I shook my head even though he couldn't see. "No. No, Caleb. I..." I looked around my tiny and dingy loft. This was not something I wanted for him to see. "I'm not there." I hoped he believed my lie. "I'm out right now."

"Are you really?" Caleb asked deadpanned. Right then, I knew he didn't believe it even for a second.

"Yes. I'm out."

He sighed. "Tell me your room number or I'll knock on every single door until I find yours." 

Grr. Why couldn't I lie to him? "You wouldn't."

"Oh I would."

I stayed silent for a moment thinking it through. I had no doubt he meant what he said. He actually would, knowing him. Giving in, I told him my place on the second floor and tidied up as neatly as I could. I stacked the random books on the corner of my coffee table, brought glasses to the kitchen sink.

I brushed through my hair and made myself look presentable after my nap. My eyes looked red from my crying, and I rinsed my face at the sink hoping my swollen eyes would lose its redness.

Before I could have time to brush my teeth, knocks resounded on the door. I took my time in walking over and opening the door for Caleb. I smiled at him and opened the door wide.

"Welcome to my loft," I said meekly. "It's not as big or great-"

Caleb's chest muffled my words as he crushed me into a hug. He didn't even seem to mind my place. I felt his hands rubbing my back comfortingly. He kissed the top of my head like I was a kid all over again. It made me feel weak.

I pushed him away with a small smile. "Hey. Are you okay?"

He frowned, his eyebrows scrunching up on his forehead. Caleb's eyes bored into mine at the absurdity of my question. "Shouldn't I be asking you that?"