Eleven

ELEVEN 

"I have some exciting news for you interns!" Luis came walking around the corner to our desks just minutes before internship ended.

Oliver and I exchanged looks of piqued curiosity. Luis was a man full of surprises and jokes, two of the things I had noticed about him for the entire first week of him being our intern. He gave each of us a thick packet of papers inside, and the three of us opened it simultaneously.

"What's this for?" Oliver asked straightforwardly. 

I glanced at the paper on top of the stack. AIA Expo. I briefly skimmed over the paragraph and looked up to Luis who started talking.

"The American Institute of Architects convention!" He answered beaming. "I managed to snatch three spots if you're interested in going. It has nothing to do with the internship for this company, but it will be beneficial in your careers..."

He continued on explaining the convention, and my mind grew distant as I read the rest of the papers. There was an application, directions, and other miscellaneous things. 

"It's completely non-mandatory, but if any of you is interested in going, the total cost would equal to up to $2,350 dollars. It is in Las Vegas so there is quite a sight to see as well."

My eyes bulged slightly from its sockets, and I slipped the papers back into its folder. All thoughts and possibility of me going were definitely wiped clean. I didn't have the money for the convention. Luis finished informing us about the convention and bid us farewell. 

I packed up my things and robotically walked towards the elevator to finally head home. 

"Ann! Wait up," Oliver's voice called from behind me.

We both entered the elevator, and I felt the rush of butterflies enter my system at the sight of the man casually leaning against the wall looking sexy as sin in his dark blue suit. A slow smile spread across his face as we made eye contact. I quickly took the spot farthest away from him and kept my eyes trained on the closing elevator doors.

"Ann are you even listening to me?" Oliver asked with a glare my way.

I smiled apologetically. "Sorry. What was it that you said?"

He huffed in frustration. "Nothing. Never mind. What's up with you lately? You've been so quiet and distant. I could barely keep up a conversation with you at lunch today."

Through the corner of my eye, I spotted Caleb angle his body towards us listening in on our conversation. 

"It's just this guy, Oliver. No big deal."

A smug smile replaced Caleb's earlier one, and Oliver prompted me to go on. I sighed dramatically and continued. "His name's Heath, one of my co workers at the restaurant. He's been begging me to go out all week, and I finally said yes to one for tonight. You know me, I worry over the smallest things. What to wear, what to say..."

That wiped the smirk off of Caleb's face. 

"I've just been thinking about the date all day," I explained to Oliver who nodded his head as if he didn't know whether to believe me or not. "I'm kind of nervous. I mean I really do like him, and I don't want to ruin it."

The elevator doors opened on the first floor, and I rushed out hoping to escape Caleb. I waved behind me to Oliver. "Bye Oliver! I'll see you Monday!"

He still had a confused look on his face from my story and waved back weakly. I walked to the front doors with a small skip to my steps.

"Is that date with Heath the reason you couldn't accept my date tonight?" Caleb spat out appearing out of nowhere besides me.