Twelve

TWELVE 

"Chris, Crystal," Dad's happy voice changed the entire atmosphere at the dinner table. "Say hello to your big sister and brother." Stella, already recovered from Ben's earlier comment, prompted for her kids to say hi to us.

I cringed internally at the corny matching names they had chosen for the twins. I glanced at each of them who were both giving Ben and I curious faces. I gave them a fake, small smile. It was the first time I ever met them. Tori, Stella's teenage-daughter, was thankfully not present tonight. I wasn't in the mood for her crude remarks.

"Ann, Dad?" The little girl asked pointing to me. "And Ben!"

"Yes, pumpkin. Ann and Ben." Dad chuckled picking her up from her seat and placing him on his lap. "Say hi." He took her hand and waved it at my brother and then me. "I've shown her pictures of both of you. They seem to have recognized you."

Ben tried his best at a smile but ended up in a grimace. "God, I think I'm going to be sick." He mumbled under his breath, so only I could hear. Then in a louder tone he said, "Can we just get on to why we're here in the first place? I'm not here for some lovely family dinner."

"I was thinking we could have dinner first," our dad explained with a tight smile. "Then we can talk."

"No, Dad, now," I sided with Ben. "That was our deal in the first place."

He placed his elbow on the table and buried his face in his hands. I watched from the opposite side as Stella soothingly rubbed his back. "Can't I just have dinner with my two kids whom I haven't seen in years? I just want to catch up on what's been going on in your lives."

I kept my face impassive though I could feel the burn of the threatening tears in my eyes. Thankfully Ben saved me from answering him. 

"And whose fault is that?" He retorted harshly scaring Chris who was besides him. 

"Ben," I warned him with a pleading tone. If no one stopped him, Ben could lose his temper easily. Especially when it came down to the man sitting in front of us.

"And you should know I tried my best to keep in touch with the both of you." Dad brought his head up and looked at the two of us in the eyes with a steely gaze. "It's been nine years, almost ten. When are you going to finally forgive me?"

"The food's here!" Stella cheerily announced as our orders were placed in front of us by the waiters. 

Perfect timing, I thought looking at the chicken alfredo I ordered. I looked to my side to see Ben already digging into his spaghetti which was only one of three orders he made. I didn't even think he wanted to eat the other two; he only wanted to waste Dad's money.

After all of us were well into our orders, Dad started once again on his questioning.

"How's your internship going, sweetheart?"

I wiped my mouth. "Good."

"Internship?" Stella asked.

"Bethany has been accepted as an intern for British Airways, honey, I thought I told you. It's for an architectural position, isn't that right?"

I gave him a silent answer with a nod.

"What about you, Ben?" Dad redirected his attention on my younger brother. "How's college going? Are you attending SU like your sister did?"

"No," he bitterly answered. "I'm currently enrolled in a community college back in Olympia. I'm afraid once I attend a university, I would have to drop out-" I pinched his side in warning to not continue any further. Ben sent daggers my way. "Drop out like Ann did because of money."