Sneak Peek

Hey guys! Here's a little sneak peek for The Pursuit

UPDATE. Chapter one is already posted!

It was him.

Him.

The man from the restaurant. He and elevator guy were the same. An expensive suit covered his body, different from the casual attire he wore the other night. In a way it made him more mature and elegant. His eyes bore into mine as if he could see through me and underneath my clothes. His gaze made me feel conscious of my body.

I couldn't look away even if I wanted. I hadn't realized this yesterday night. I was looking at the most handsome man in the world. He had a defined jaw and lips that I could see myself wanting to kiss over and over and over again... 

I had to snap out of it, quick. I'd never felt this way over a man I'd seen for the first time or for the second time. But it was that moment when I noticed his beauty of ruggedness. I already felt my cheeks warming and knew my cheeks would be splotched with red in to time. 

This was ridiculous! How could I be besotted with him already?

"Since all of our interns and mentors are already here," Tracy's commanding voice broke the strong pull he had on me. I fixed my attention to Tracy who was in the middle of speaking. "We could go ahead and start introducing ourselves. I'll start first."

And we were back on the first day of school.

Tracy introduced herself as the director of the human resources branch of the company. She would be taking in the three interns who applied for that department. The next lady to stand was a much younger looking one who had bright red hair. It was only right that her name would be Scarlet Hannikins. She was also a director for the marketing branch. 

Then the man I had a staring contest with turned out to be Caleb Wilkes. 

"Unfortunately, Luis, the director of the remaining department, wasn't able to uphold this task of mentoring you interns, so my friend who is the owner of this company asked me to. I'm the head architect of the entire company." His voice oozed with confidence in a rich, velvety voice. The British accent that accompanied it only highlighted his voice. "I'll be looking forward to working with you architect interns." He winked at the end which wasn't good for my sanity.

Stop it. I scolded myself. I shouldn't be reacting like a lovesick teenager. I was an adult for goodness' sakes.

It was now the rest of the interns' turns for introductions, and I kept mine short and brief only saying my name and a fact or two. The other two architectural interns was the guy sitting beside me whose name was Oliver, and another male named Jeff. It seemed like architecture attracted guys more. 

After that round of introductions, we all separated into our divisions. Caleb, who insisted we call him so, led us to the architectural department which was different from the rest of the other floors. Instead of cubicles taking up space, tables and tables of models were displayed in the middle. 

I found myself smiling. I'd always wanted to do this type of work. I always wanted to work at a company but not the desk and computer type of work. I wanted hands-on type of work. As we passed by people working at the few desks, they all greeted Caleb. The young ladies, especially, gave him extra attention. A flip of a hair here and there.

Caleb seemed to have been used to it. He kindly returned their greetings and continued leading us to a door until he stopped. I almost bumped into Jeff before I caught myself. I took a step to the side and looked up to hear what Caleb had to say.

I found his intense look to be intimidating and instead focused on a spot on the wall behind him. "This is my office. It's off limits to everyone unless I say so. You will be working on contacting clients and designs, and later in the internship, you will eventually go to field supervision and working on contracts."

"I'm sure you all have your architectural degree?" 

I paled. Suddenly my hands were getting sweaty beside my body. I tried to inconspicuously dry them on the back of my dress. I may or may have not lied about having my degree in the application. 

"Yes sir," Oliver and Jeff simultaneously answered.

Caleb nodded at them before looking at me.

I opened my mouth to speak. "Of course. I wouldn't be here if I didn't have one, right?" A smooth lie rolled off my lips. Ben had always complimented me on my artful skill of lying.

"Great," he smiled. "Then you all are qualified and can handle the work we'll be doing in the later stage."

I closed my eyes. I'll just have to deal with that problem when the time comes. 

"I'll have my secretary show you the desks you'll be staying at."

I didn't realize a young woman appeared at his side with really high eyebrows. It was the first thing I noticed. He disappeared into the privacy of his office, and we were left with High Brows. She led us to three desks not too far away. It wasn't an official office space like everyone else's but we had our own individual space.

"He said his first task is for you three to work on a design of an airplane," High Brows informed us with a careless roll of eyes, "until this day is over. He wants to see them first thing tomorrow morning."

Then she left us with only that piece of information. This should be a piece of cake. In my two years of classes, designing came to me naturally. Sure I only practiced with buildings and houses, but it shouldn't be any different for air crafts. I would learn. No biggie.