Six

SIX 

The following Monday morning, I got ready for the internship in a daze and in a wreck. I almost decided to call it a sick day, but I couldn't because that would just make me look like a wimp and a coward. It's not that the internship was hard work, hell sometimes we did nothing. It was the person in charge. Caleb.

I couldn't face him after what took place in his car just before I shook myself out of my state of shock and shot out of his car and into the safety of my loft. Everything just happened too fast. We were just getting to know each other... The guy sure did acted on his feelings faster than I did.

Not that I was complaining about the kiss. I savored it. I craved for more afterwards. 

And he thought I was attractive. Me. It was just the right thing to boost my self-confidence. That lasted only until Sunday night. 

I shoved a banana in my mouth, grabbed an apple off my fruit bowl and headed out the door. I couldn't stall any longer. I would have to face Caleb one day. It was best to do it now, so we would get the awkwardness done and over with. Then everything would be back to normal. As normal as it possibly could be.

Well at least for me. I didn't even know if he felt different or affected by that chaste kiss. It probably wasn't even a kiss. Just a peck. Yes. Just a peck.

I groaned in frustration as I waited for the bus. I was overanalyzing everything. Caleb probably already forgot about it. My phone started to ring, and it stopped me from thinking even more about the situation.

I glanced at the caller ID and pressed accept. "Mom. Hi."

Ever since I left for Seattle, I hadn't talked to Mom since. I wasn't expecting her to call, and I was positive she wouldn't even pick up her phone if I did.

"Bethany? Ann, what is this I hear from Ben that you're in fucking Seattle for an internship?"

I rolled my eyes and stood up as I saw the bus rolling up the street. "You're a bit late on the news, Mom. I've been here for weeks now."

"You better get your ass back home."

"Mom, please. I'm already twenty-six. Don't you think I've overstayed my welcome at the house? Besides, I'm doing this internship for you and Ben."

"Doing this internship for you and Ben," she mimicked. "You already had a decent job here, why quit it?"

"Being a waitress is not a decent job Mom!" I yelled and lowered my voice as I stepped on the bus. "I worked as one for years and not once has my salary gone up. Why don't you quit alcohol and God forbid drugs and start teaching again?"

"That's what I tried telling her!" I heard Ben's voice from the background. 

"Shut up you stupid son of mine."

"Love you too, Mom," Ben chuckled, already used to my mom's harsh words.

"Mom, I'm not coming back. Not at least this internship is over."

"Fuck you. What does that internship pay you anyways? Who's going to be paying the bills around here?"

I closed my eyes tightly. I was already used to my mother's show of love... or lack thereof. In fact, she was much better drunk. She wasn't that harsh with words. "Ben is. Look Mom, you don't have to worry about bills or whatever."

"Who's gonna send me money for my cigarettes then?"

"No one," I laughed. "Good luck with that. Maybe you can get some from your fuck buddies."