Shadowing

By the second day in the Watchtower, Kee was getting restless.

Her shoulder was healing well and she was straying further and further away from her dad and her ' uncles'. Ever since the attack on her house, her powers had only showed themselves one more time.

Yesterday shed been trying to reach the spice rack on the top shelf of the kitchen as she cooked a surprise lunch for her dad, who was very busy. As shed reached for it, annoyed to find herself much too short she'd suddenly found herself floating off the ground and able to reach it easily. The wind had been pushing her up.

She'd only controlled it for a few seconds and ever since couldn't remember just how she had activated them. 

So, because she was so bored she decided to shadow some of the leaguers and see what their jobs were around the tower.

She started off by shadowing Wonder Woman, who was very happy to have Kee tag along with hat she was doing. At the time she was training in the workout rooms, flying around and smashing holograms in to the ground with animalistic roars of rage. Kee was more scared of her now than she was before. She'd scuttled away silently to shadow someone else.

Next she decided to shadow Green Arrow, but when he'd gone in to Black Canary's too she decided it was best to leave them alone.

Finally she decided to go hang out with the only other interesting person currently in the watchtower. Batman.

The Dark Knight was in the monitor room, typing away with flying fingers at the biggest computer in the room. His eyes behind his cowl were fixed on the screen, but he didn't need to be looking at her to know the child was standing silently at the doorway. 

" You should be asleep, isn't it past your bedtime, kid?" Batman asked calmly as he turned to face her.

She jumped slightly when he spoke but recovered nicely and slowly limped further in to the room, eyes wide with curiosity.

' I do not have a bedtime, could I stay here with you?' Kee signed hopefully.

" I'm not doing anything you'd want to stick around for. Doesn't your father have something for you to do?" Bruce replied tersely, an eyebrow raised behind his cowl.

' Dad is with Clark, but they are being boring. You are more fun,' Kee stated with a shrug.

Bruce smirked at this, gesturing for her to join him at the desk.

" I understand that competely, I find Clark boring as well," Bruce snorted.

Kee beamed at him and quickly moved to sit in another chair beside him, moving it closer to the dark man without a care in the world. She gazed over his shoulder, watching as he monitored all the countries in the world, and simultaneously running hundreds of scans on separate screens. 

She tapped his shoulder after a few minutes and he turned to face her.

' What are you doing?' Kee asked curiously.

" I'm monitoring the countries of the world for things like natural disasters, villain attacks and wars. I'm also running scans on the whereabouts of dangerous criminals and drug lords," Batman explained, pointing out the different screens.

Kee absorbed it all with eagerness, acting so much like his own sons had at her age. Maybe that was why he had a soft spot for her. Usually he didn't act this way around kids. But then again, forcing Hal on a mission had meant that he hadn't been there to make the decision about her leg. He still felt bad about that.

She sat next to him for the next two hours, they communicated every now and then, but generally it was a comfortable silence and she didn't mind just watching him work. After two hours though, Bruce felt a pressure on his shoulder and looked to see Kee's eyes closed in sleep. Smirking, Bruce gently drew the side of his cloak over her shoulders in a make shift blanket, and reaching for his comm he contacted Hal.

" Lantern, I think I have something that belongs to you in the monitor womb," Batman said in his gravely tone.

Only a minute or so later, Hal burst in to the room to see Kee resting on Bruce's shoulder, cuddled up next to him on her chair and seemingly comfortable.

" Big ol' bats does have a heart after all," Chuckled Hal warmly as he bent to scoop up Kee in his arms.

Bruce grunted something intelligible before going back to his work, pretending not to notice how Hal kissed his daughter goodnight on the forehead and clutched her close as though nothing in the world would ever hurt her.