Flower crowns

Niall had always been the kind of kid who was classified as a nerd. Not that he really was one, he just looked like one and that was enough to shove him under the nerd category and be done with it.

Liam was one who was classified as a punk. Because he really was one. Tattoos, plugs, the whole lot. And he was difficult to ignore, as well. So that was another kid in a group of kids to shove under a category and be done with.

Niall didn't have any friends, and that's the way he liked it. Well, he didn't really like it, but it made him feel better to pretend that he did.

Liam had only three friends: Zayn, Harry, and Louis. All of them were punks as well. They had their own little group away from the rest of the punks and that is how they liked it.

Niall had recently dyed his hair lilac, and that was when the bullying began. Of course, being a "nerd" and openly gay had already earned him lots of taunts, but no physical bullying. He still swears that the lilac hair was the best decision of his life, though.

Liam had recently dyed his hair, too. It was black though, not something that really stood out. He liked being able to hide in a crowd, even if his tattoos and piercings made that hard at times.

Niall liked flower crowns. Liam liked piercings. The pair was completely segregated from each other and that's the way that high school made it. So shouldn't it stay that way?

-

Niall had made a new flower crown this morning before he left for school. It was all pretty and pink and yellow and it went perfectly with his lilac hair. And that's the way he liked it.

He was fairly cheery when he showed up for school, despite the fact that it was Monday and he had already gotten some looks from other students. Looks of hatred, especially Josh.

Josh was Niall's own personal bully. It was difficult, because what if Josh hit him somewhere that his mother could see? One day, Niall had asked him not to hit him anywhere noticeable because he didn't want anyone to know. Josh agreed, but Niall was still wary at times.

The day began exactly like it always did. Josh hit him hard enough in the stomach to knock the breath out of him. Once he recovered, he headed off to music.

Today was a bit different than most, though. Mr Lloyd decided that today, he was going to make them work in pairs. He had witnessed for himself the segregation of the high school, and he wanted to try to merge the groups a bit. So he put together the most different people into pairs.

"Alright, today-" Mr Lloyd paused as the bell ran, "-I'm putting you into pairs. There will be no switching or complaining; at the end of two weeks, which is next Friday, you will preform a song together. It can be a cover, it can be your own. It just has to be something meaningful to the both of you. Now, let's get to the groups."

Niall stopped listening. Groups?! Josh was in this class. No one would be cruel enough to put him in a group with Josh, would they?

Only three pairs were left when Niall started listening. "Perrie Edwards and Zayn Malik. Louis Tomlinson and Harry Styles. Liam Payne and Niall Horan. No complaining, no switching. Get with your partners and begin," Mr Lloyd left for his office.

Niall looked around for his partner. Liam Payne. He had heard of a boy with that name. But what did he look like? There was a small cough from in front of him, and Niall looked up to see the most intimidating yet beautiful boy he had ever seen.

"H-hi," he stuttered out. "I'm Niall," Niall put his hand out to offer the boy a handshake. Liam did nothing.

"I'm Liam. Let's get to work," there was a small hint of malice in his voice and Niall didn't like that. He had heard too many people speak to him like that.