I don't know why you say goodbye I say hello...

I don't know why you say goodbye I say hello... Hello hello...

Do you know that song? It's by the Beatles.

Anyway, every time I'm walking down the hall (well, not every time) I'll get it stuck in my head because it's so weird seeing people you know.

There are several different types of "people you know", in my opinion:

1) The genuine hi.

People you're kinda friends with and are happy to see-- they get an authentic hello and you're genuinely happy to see them. You ALWAYS say hi when you see them.

2) The polite hi.

You aren't really close to them, but feel obligated to say hi to them. Every now and then you don't say anything, or just smile.

3) The wavers.

These people give you little waves. I don't know why, but I associate waving with like "This person is at a distance from me so I will wave in greeting". But for some reason there are people who will be passing you in the hall and do the awkward little wave even though you're like right next to them. Am I the only one who thinks this is weird?

4) The smilers.

They smile, sometimes followed with a greeting, when they see you. You like them and they're usually friendly, even if you're not that close.

5) The awkward smilers.

Divided into two categories:

1) I am not sure what our relationship is and whether I should greet you verbally or not, so I will simply smile and look extremely uncomfortable and then look away immediately.

2) I clearly don't really like you but feel obligated to acknowledge your presence so I will give you a weird smile and look away immediately.

6) The huggers.

I'm sorry, but I don't have time to stop between classes to hug you EVERY SINGLE DAY. If I see you at break or something fine, hug me. But we're probably not even that close and I'm trying to get to class.

7) The nods.

How is a nod a greeting? And what do you do back? I feel weird nodding back, so usually I'll smile awkwardly or something. I mean, honestly, I'm a girl. I don't want to nod at you. What?

8) Your actual friends.

This is how some girls react when they see their friends:

OH MY GOD HIIIIIIIIIII!!!!! (Even though they just saw each other) HUGSSSSS THAT BLOCK THE WHOLE HALLWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How my friends and I greet each other:

1) Hit each other

2) Poke them

3) Not at all-- eye contact is enough, if at all. I'll see them soon anyway.

4) Weird faces

5) Scream their name and nothing else in a weird voice

9) The dreaded "I don't know what level of greeting we're at so I'm going to wait and see what you do"

I HAAATE these people! Where you don't know if they warrant a full-out hi with a smile and the whole shebang, or if you should just smile, or greet them at all. Usually these are people you kind of know but not well.

10) THE NON-GREETERS.

I hate when I'm walking down the hall and see someone I know, so I smile and/or say hi, and they. Keep. Walking. COMPLETELY AVOIDING ME. Or, worse yet, making eye contact and then breaking it immediately. If someone says hi to me, I say it back, even if I don't remember them: IT'S COMMON COURTESY. But don't fricking snub me!

11) Teachers.

To say hi, or not to say hi, that is the question at hand. So awkward. Especially like at the beginning of the year when they have no clue who you are.